ODBC database queries and Illustrator

acro

Anyone know of a source for doing database queries from within Illustrator via ODBC? I have used the Variables pallet via xml which is fine, but am looking for a more robust way of pulling data. It seems the xml within Illustrator is not "standard" in some way. There are applications that are designed for use with Indesign and an ODBC database, but not Illustrator. Anyone know why? Thanks

You can use Illustrator and an ODBC compliant database - but Illustrator's variables use a specific XML syntax - you would need to write a script that would export the data from the database, then convert the data to the format that Illustrator can use using XSLT and then bring that into Illustrator. It's just an extra step with the XSLT. The reason for this, I believe, has to do with how Adobe initially hooked up the feature with their Adobe Graphics Server, which was SVG based.

:) Mordy

Odbc

Odbc

Thanks for the reply. Since my initial post I have been testing the Esko Dynamic Content plug-in using xml. Very cool. Seems that will be the way to go for now.You can do quite a bit of content re-purpose from an exported xml from your jobs database, build Illustrator templates that are then dynamically changed by switching the associated xml. Very useful if you get creative with it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back