off line UV coater and powder

hondarr9

Just ordered an offline UV coater and after the order was placed the Sales rep told us that if you run the pieces on a press and use powder (which is a must!) you have to make sure you get all the powder off the pieces. He recommended a jogger. I have one but is a piece of crap office max style. Would a good jogger do the job or is this going to be a big issue for us when we get the coater? Anyone have experience with this?

Congrats on purchasing an offline UV coater, I don't know about you're jogger, but you want to make sure you get the powder off the sheets before UV coating or you'll have a gritty appearance and feel depending on how much powder (and micron size) residue remains on the sheet.

Please let us know if we may be of assistance in supplying UV coatings and support. Please visit our website for more information Welcome To Rhino Performance Products

Ok, so without a jogger I would just simply fan the hell out of the sheets? We are using 25 micron powder from Airtech.

You can always run the sheets through the press and dust them , remember to turn the sprayer off ! and usually both sides should be dusted. Before presses had inline coaters this was standard operating procedure for jobs getting coated off line . It also helps to discuss micron size and type of powder with your supplier.

Thanks! Never thought of that. I would assume the sheets would need a decent amount of dry time before a dust run?

This might be a stupid question, but bear with me. For a dust run, does the press need to actually go on to impression, and if so how is that done? Do you put a blank plate on or just run the unit without ink or plate.

Dry Hit Dusting

Dry Hit Dusting

Run on impression - turn ink and water train off and not in contact with plate cylinder - watch the blanket and the powder will build up - when necessary stop and wash blanket - repeat

We have a Ryobi 3304 and I'm not sure how I can have it go into impression without the ink and water forms contacting the plate cylinder, thus inking it and the blanket up. Unless i'm not thinking through this straight. Maybe one of the service modes could accomplish that.

hondarr9 - I'd make sure that you actually have this problem as I think you may be looking at it from the wrong end. As long as you keep your sprayers serviced and set up right, the powder should be barely detectable (we have no problem UV coating sheets).

lfelton- I wont have the coater until Friday. I am just going by what the manufacturer is telling us. I guess we will just wait and see how it works. The Ryobi powder unit is not the best. We sometimes have trouble accurately putting down just the right amount of powder, and tend to error on the heavy side as not to ruin the job. Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back