Offset ink density problems - help finding print consultant?

Canuck

Hello, first post, I hope I picked the best forum. We're a small publisher of scholarly books, offset black only on uncoated cream paper, we're experiencing some ink density problems (light type / dark type) and don't own a density meter. I'm looking for any suggestions as to someone, preferably in the USA or if necessary in Europe, who could measure a few densities on our sheets and advise as to whether they fall within tolerance etc. We have only a very rudimentary understanding of all the highly technical things discussed on these boards, my apologies in advance!

Hello, first post, I hope I picked the best forum. We're a small publisher of scholarly books, offset black only on uncoated cream paper, we're experiencing some ink density problems (light type / dark type) and don't own a density meter. I'm looking for any suggestions as to someone, preferably in the USA or if necessary in Europe, who could measure a few densities on our sheets and advise as to whether they fall within tolerance etc. We have only a very rudimentary understanding of all the highly technical things discussed on these boards, my apologies in advance!
What press are you running,
is the issue ink density variation caused by either ink/water,
what experience level is your pressman

Hello,
1. I'm not sure what the press is, and the printer has clammed up, I'm not sure they'd say.
2. I wish I knew.
3. One of the top printers of art books in Europe. Expensive. We're using the highest quality paper, sewn binding, all the bells and whistles. Who was working on the press that day I don't know.

Hello Canuck,

I would - 1) Find a well known "Commercial Sheet-fed Printer" near you and ask them would they
check the IFT (Ink FilmThickness) with their Densitometer.

Regards, Alois

To measure the solid ink density (SID) you will need to find printed image areas that are 1) 100 % solid and 2) large enough for the aperture window (~2.0mm). I assume you only have the finished books and don't have access to any QC flat press sheets or folded signatures?

To measure the solid ink density (SID) you will need to find printed image areas that are 1) 100 % solid and 2) large enough for the aperture window (~2.0mm). I assume you only have the finished books and don't have access to any QC flat press sheets or folded signatures?
I have full sheets, yes. The book has not yet been bound.

Alois idea of asking a local printer to make measurements is a convenient idea.
They or you could do it at their plant.

Thanks to all for your comments and assistance. This seems like a very friendly place, I wish I knew more about the trade to hang out with you all. Will keep you posted if you like.

Hi will be a great idea, that you contact to the supplier of the manufacturer
of Ink,since they know very well the Tixotrapia (Viscosity( of the INK.

And they instruct you, what are affecting to the Viscosity of the ink, PH, substrate,etc.

Blessing

[email protected]
Mobile +WhatsAPP:+505 8861 1441

Managua,Nicaragua. C.A

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back