On Lithoman 38inch web offset Press water roller

OLD EPHRAIM

This water pan roller is only one day old. It starts to develop these lines which transfers lightly to the plate and you can see it in Solid Images. It seems to have came when we switch Fountain Solutions. But I can't convince management to try a different solution. All the rollers are striped according to manufacture specs. I'm thinking it's the solution but what do you guys think? This roller transfers the solution directly to a ceramic roller which transfers it to the water form roller.
20221119_185911.jpg

Did you put a new pan roller in because of the same problem?
If not, then put the old one back in and see if it remains or goes away?
Try flipping the roller end for end?
Try putting it in a different unit?
Why did you change fountain solution?

Previous roller had same issue, all top rollers have this issue. Lower rollers do but they spin in opposite direction and take longer for issue to become apparent. They switched solutions because it was cheaper.

Previous roller had same issue, all top rollers have this issue. Lower rollers do but they spin in opposite direction and take longer for issue to become apparent. They switched solutions because it was cheaper.
I think you may be on to something with the FS, and I’d try to switch to something else to prove your theory out. Maybe you still have some of your previous FS, somewhere? If not, and management won’t accommodate by purchasing something else, maybe see about asking a vendor for a free sample. I’m guessing they’d be more than willing to help...

Is the problem on all print units or just one. Are you using a central FS tank that supplies all units or does each unit have its own tank. I would suspect it is the FS as you had the issue before you changed the roller. When did you switch FS and did you have the problem before?
Has anyone completed a full evaluation of your new FS. to do this you will need
A Thermometer
pH meter
Conductivity Meter
Refractometer 0-10%
You have to bring in the supplier to evaluate the new solution, they may need to adjust the formula

Last edited:
Its is a general return tank. It's in all the units. It just shows up in black and magenta first.
I feel it with the fs I just wanted to see the counsel of other printers to help convince to try a different FS. And if that wasn't it at least more experience printers could help me figure out this problem. I would like to thank everyone for the feedback and helping me resolve this problem.

Yes , ceramic rollers have been cleaned with specific cleaning spray for them. They are done routinely on a schedule.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back