Override screen ruling settings

mloch

Can anyone enlighten me to how you set up a page setup that will ensure that it only produces 175 screen regardless of settings that might be embedded in the source file.

I plan to set up series of spool directories that allow me to drop composite PDF into them to deliver film output to an ECRM Knockout where if I need 150 screen I can simply drop the source file into a specific spool directory that is set to override all settings and produce 150 screen film. I will repeat this for 175 and 200 specific workflows.

RIP used Navigator 8.0
Windows XP
Setter - ECRM Knockout 4550
Film based workflow.

Thanks

Malcolml

If v8 is anything like v7, your separation-setup should look something like this:

separations.png

Check "Override frequency in job" and input the desired lpi for your resolution.
Make sure that you edit the same resolution as the one you chose in the page-setup window.

If v8 is anything like v7, your separation-setup should look something like this:

separations.png

Check "Override frequency in job" and input the desired lpi for your resolution.
Make sure that you edit the same resolution as the one you chose in the page-setup window.

If you have to have the LPI at exactly 175LPI you must have HPS turned off. HPS (according to settings) finds a set of screens to reduce moire, which can be +/- a set % value of the required LPI. usually most people can live with withe variations. but sometimes I have found screen printers prefer to have no HPS on, so they know they are getting exactly what they request.

RH

If you have to have the LPI at exactly 175LPI you must have HPS turned off. HPS (according to settings) finds a set of screens to reduce moire, which can be +/- a set % value of the required LPI. usually most people can live with withe variations. but sometimes I have found screen printers prefer to have no HPS on, so they know they are getting exactly what they request.
RH

A small point of clarification, 175 LPI is not an even divisor of 2400 dpi so you don't actually get 175 lpi when you request it. You'll likely get something like 169.706 or 188.562 LPI (depending on your RIPs screening set up). I believe the Yellow frequency will no longer be at a slightly higher frequency than the other process colors. Turning off HPS may also cause screen angles to lose their accuracy, which can cause moiré, and inconsistent or loss of rosette structures.

best, gordo

I would caution anyone turning off hps that you run a very real risk of moiré. Done it and had it won't turn it off again.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back