page numbering in Indesign

wonderings

I do not do a lot of page numbering, so when I get it, I do not use it for ages and it slips away with how to do it. Now I can do the basic numbering no problem. The issue I am having is that the document page 3 needs to be where the numbering starts, starting with "page 2". This is a book with self cover, so first 2 pages of my indesign document are the cover and a blank page (back inside cover). Now I made a Master for the cover and back cover, both inside and out "Master B". "Master A" is where I have the numbering set, the document is set for facing pages. In "Master A" I have set my text box and have gone type>insert special character>markers>current page markers.

I cannot figure out how to make page 3 start with 2.

This is on the latest update of Indesign CC.

I do not do a lot of page numbering, so when I get it, I do not use it for ages and it slips away with how to do it. Now I can do the basic numbering no problem. The issue I am having is that the document page 3 needs to be where the numbering starts, starting with "page 2". This is a book with self cover, so first 2 pages of my indesign document are the cover and a blank page (back inside cover). Now I made a Master for the cover and back cover, both inside and out "Master B". "Master A" is where I have the numbering set, the document is set for facing pages. In "Master A" I have set my text box and have gone type>insert special character>markers>current page markers.

I cannot figure out how to make page 3 start with 2.

This is on the latest update of Indesign CC.

Go to the "Layout" menu drop down. Then select "Numbering & Section Options..."

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 1.16.19 PM.jpg

Go to the "Layout" menu drop down. Then select "Numbering & Section Options..."

View attachment 4710

Thanks, I should have mentioned I tried doing that with no luck. It could be I am just not setting it properly. This is what I have:

It messes up the pages, it should look like the first, but I end up with the second.

If you look at the right panel for pages you can see how it messes it up. I am sure it is something simple, I just cannot get it.

In your Pages palette, select all the pages.
Then go to the drop down in that palette.
Beck sure that both the following, in the screen capture, are NOT checked.

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 2.05.48 PM.png

Then try the section numbering.

My usual workflow is to separate the cover pages out to a separate file.

However, if you use the section and numbering, you have it start a new section with page 3, then have the numbering start there with 1. You may then have to have the back cover be in another new section.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back