Pantone....you confuse me

maas

Not sure is this is deliberate or in error but the 2023 Pantone guide shows same colour different Pantone numbers

pantone.jpg

Not sure is this is deliberate or in error but the 2023 Pantone guide shows same colour different Pantone numbers

Dear all, I think there's a little bit more than just than that ... I would like to share with you a couple of articles that I find they are worth to read.... I guess these are the original sources:

Matthias Betz:

Eddy Hagen:

enjoy the reading!

PMS colors are alive and well. Some original base colors like reflex and warm red do not stand up to the curing lights in the coating system.
Coatable shades of these are now available but the pigments arent the same so when you are mixing say PMS 281 old school would be 94.10% reflex and 5.90% black.
Now we use .04 transparent white .1321 rubine .1711 coatable violet .5819 process blue and .073 black. Simple.

PMS colors are alive and well. Some original base colors like reflex and warm red do not stand up to the curing lights in the coating system.
Coatable shades of these are now available but the pigments arent the same so when you are mixing say PMS 281 old school would be 94.10% reflex and 5.90% black.
Now we use .04 transparent white .1321 rubine .1711 coatable violet .5819 process blue and .073 black. Simple.
LOL

Technically, how many people use spot colors these days? Don't most print 4 color process which puts most PMS colors out of the gamut?
Just you go ahead and tell all the designers out there they can't use spot colors anymore because "Most spot colors are out of gamut"
DOH.
Yes - we print SPOT colors as process and RELY on the 'pantone' system to create those colors as reliably and as closely as possible.
Unless you were just trolling in which case - nevermind.

Pantone explains the homeopathic levels of ink in their new formulations (my emphasis):

"Regarding the criticism about “homeopathic” amounts of base inks, she [Pantone product manager Joyce Stempkowski] explained: “In order to achieve the specified spectral values with the new basic colors, Pantone at certain points had to use more components in very small quantities. However, in practice that should not be an issue, since printers will have their own recipes if they want to achieve small tolerances for a given standard.”

More info here:

Thanks Gordo.
This sentence also:

"Pantone said the launch of the new colours had followed the integration of 294 Pantone Matching System Colors that were added in 2019 for closer alignment with Pantone’s Fashion, Home + Interiors System."

I guess we've been spoiled to have a color matching system (ie business) just for us, eh? The party is over.
LOL

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back