PDF imported in quark

sbriss

A customer gives me a 60 pages documents created in quark 6. Each page has the same imported PDF but different pages from that PDF that also contain 60 pages. I opened that file in quark 7 and suddenly all the pages of the quark file have the same page of the PDF imported. It's really strange and there is no way to update it correctly. (I think!)

Ouch. I don't play with Quark much anymore so I don't have a definitive answer. You might need to reimport the PDF into each page and hope it gives you the option as to which page you want to display.

I almost wonder if the file was originally created with v6 using a plug-in that you don't have for 7?

I don't know.... this is a prime reason why I try to avoid Quark and stick with InDesign as much as possible.

As Soilworker says, sounds like each page has to be Placed; from 1 to 60. If you have Acrobat Pro, you can go: Document>Extract Pages...1 to 60; making sure you check the box "Extract as Separate Files".
At least then you have 60 1xpage PDFs. Can't remember whether Q gives you import/page options. If you only have Q then you're stuck; but would be using 6 if you have it to do the job.
If you have InDes, (am assuming you may not), and if you have the PDFs as Placed pics/files, do it in InDes.
Again, as Soilworker says, ouch!

Hello... I know this can be frustrating... While this has been addressed in the newest release, QuarkXPress 8.02... however, Quark is aware of this issue. It only happens in 7.3 and above, so one work around, in this case, is to revert to version 7.2.

Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back