PDF Syntax Errors

Saurus

What are they exactly and do I need to worry about them? I keep getting a page description error when preflighting files from a customer. (Unknown operator and invalid operand (s) for operator.) Also, despite using the same preflight profile, it only appears to be triggering on one workstation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
First helpful questions towards an answer:
What software (plus version#) is preflighting the PDF?
Which platform (Mac/PC) ?

Current Acrobat Pro, current macOS BigSur.

Have another macOS and windows machine running the same profile set to "Report PDF syntax errors" and only one of the three is flagging it. If I run Acrobat "Report Syntax Issues" it returns the page description errors on all. (Unknown operator and invalid operand (s) for operator.)

Last edited:
Current Acrobat Pro, current macOS BigSur.

Have another macOS and windows machine running the same profile set to "Report PDF syntax errors" and only one of the three is flagging it. If I run Acrobat "Report Syntax Issues" it returns the page description errors on all. (Unknown operator and invalid operand (s) for operator.)
Version of Acrobat Pro please.
There are specific errors for specific versions, sigh, bug fixes I guess.
So it looks like one machine flags as part of the generic report and all machines flag when asked the specific question.
Syntax errors come from the postscript interpretation.
Have someone with newer software check and see if it's ok and you'll know that it's a 'future' software version mucking things up for an older interpreter.
And if it doesn't cause issues ???? don't worry, be happy.
:)

Syntax errors come from the postscript interpretation.

There is no stink'in PostScript in a PDF file other than if one uses PostScript XObjects, which is very unlikely in this situation. Yes, it is true that PDF is a descendant of PostScript especially in its use of Reverse Polish Notation and its stack architecture. Otherwise, PDF is really a different beast than PostScript.

PDF Syntax errors are in fact errors detected by Acrobat Preflight associated with either invalid operators specified, valid operators with invalid parameters being specified, or structural errors in the internal layout of the PDF file.

Yes, it is critically important that a reasonably current version of Acrobat be used to check for PDF errors in Preflight.

The good news is that Acrobat (and some other PDF interpreters) can and do often ignore some non-critical PDF syntax errors. Other such errors can cause rendering errors (including missing or improperly-imaged objects), print job failures, and/or software crashes in extreme situation.

Maybe you could post an example of a file failing the PDF syntax check?

- Dov

There is no stink'in PostScript in a PDF file other than if one uses PostScript XObjects, which is very unlikely in this situation. Yes, it is true that PDF is a descendant of PostScript especially in its use of Reverse Polish Notation and its stack architecture. Otherwise, PDF is really a different beast than PostScript.

PDF Syntax errors are in fact errors detected by Acrobat Preflight associated with either invalid operators specified, valid operators with invalid parameters being specified, or structural errors in the internal layout of the PDF file.
Looked at my ol' stink'in red book for 'syntax error' examples and descriptions - seems pretty similar to the errors and descriptions you give - actual parsing is non-critical for me as I don't have the issue OP describes. IANAP.
We probably won't agree in principle about the evolution and commercial use of Page Description languages - and that is Ok also.

I have 2 macOS workstations both on Version 2022.003.20258
1 windows 10 workstation on Version 2022.003.20263

Only one of the macOS workstations is having syntax errors during preflight. If i follow up and run the Acrobat "Report Syntax Issues" it will say "No problems found".

Last edited:
I have 2 macOS workstations both on Version 2022.003.20258
1 windows 10 workstation on Version 2022.003.20263

Only one of the macOS workstations is having syntax errors during preflight. If i follow up and run the Acrobat "Report Syntax Issues" it will say "No problems found".
can you share the PDF file ( three different people now have asked you for this, so, guessing answer is no ) but that would help us help you

Does that macOS station where the error pop up have any Acrobat plugins/add-ons installed (like Pitstop, pdfToolbox, etc.)?
And yes, please share the PDF file.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back