PDF to TIF automation solution

jctremblay

Hello,
A friend of mine is looking for a solution for his workflows. He is in need of a software that can automate his need to convert various PDFs or various size into Raster Tif or various Dpi. Something that can be automated with hot folder. Does anyone have an idea if such tool exist?

Many thanks!

Jean-Claude

PDF to TIF automation solution

Thanks Al, my friend is already doing this (opening them in photoshop) but manually. He need to have a solution that works with hotfolders since the volume of PDFs he process is too big to be done manually or even with the batch function.

There are at least 2 solutions, but they are not cheap. What budget have your friend for such a software?

Hi Zombie, my friend budget is not defined yet. Anything worth saving time from doing it manually will be explored. So what's the two solutions you have in mind?

I think you underestimate the capability of Photoshop actions and droplets to process thousands of files. You already have Photoshop. Zombie's Piktor solution will cost upwards of $1500; will not work on mac; and will have a learning curve, the same as Photoshop Actions and Droplets.

Good luck,

Al

Hi Al, I don’t underestimate the capability of Photoshop actions and droplets, I’m just researching for all available options. One of them being using Actions and Droplets. One of the goal of my friend is looking for something that can be automated and can process large amount of large PDFs. Thanks!

Automated Workflow

Automated Workflow

You should look at the Dalim Twist product. It is pricey, but very good at automating these types of tasks as well as many others. It uses tools to combine a workflow to allow you to customize all aspects of the workflow. If you want an inexpensive solution i would suggest the Photoshop and apple scripts approach.

Good luck,
Charles.

Hi Jc,

Here we use harlequin rip (polkadots) and it work really well. All you have to do is send your pdf to an hotfolder and a tiff g4 will be create. Isn't worth a lot so I think it's a good way for your friend.

P.S. It's really easy to change the settings i.e. lpi or screen angle.

EskoArtwork Nexus will do exactly what you want, but at a hefty price. I agree with Al, Photoshop droplets should be very efficient and cost effective.

Enfocus Powerswitch

Enfocus Powerswitch

Hi there,
I recommend researching Enfocus PowerSwitch, it may suit your needs. It has powerful hotfolders and workflow automation that plays really well with third party software, i.e. Pitstop action lists. From my experience, this software is very flexible and user friendly, too.

Enfocus - Enfocus PowerSwitch

Good luck!
cdimitrio

Hello,
A friend of mine is looking for a solution for his workflows. He is in need of a software that can automate his need to convert various PDFs or various size into Raster Tif or various Dpi. Something that can be automated with hot folder. Does anyone have an idea if such tool exist?

Many thanks!

Jean-Claude

We offer two automated solutions, one is using EFI XFlow or Oris Normalizer by CGS. Which solution you decide depends on the workflow etc you require. We have online demo's of both which you can trial via an FTP Upload

@Zombie My friend is in the large format printing. So he have various plotter all of them running PosterShop or Prodcution House by Onyx.

Seems I have a lot of possibility... Will do some research. Thanks everyone!

PDF Checkpoint

PDF Checkpoint

Zevrix Solutions is working on a new product, PDF Checkpoint, currently in public beta. It will preflight multiple PDF files and offer some other automation solutions. There also will be a server version based on hotfolders. I plan to include the conversion of PDF to various formats, but am not sure if it will make it to the first release yet.

So it's not really an immediate solution for your friend, but something to keep an eye on. The beta-testing program is currently open for new beta-testers. If you'd like to participate, or just take a look at PDF Checkpoint, please download it here:

http://zevrix.com/download.php

Leo Revzin
Zevrix Solutions
http://zevrix.com

Last edited:
It should be possible to automate this using GhostScript?
Using batch files (PC) or some other scripting (On Mac)

...and of course right now your friend can automate the PDF->TIFF conversion completely with AppleScript using AppleScript hotfolders (Folder Actions). If someone in his company can write the script, it's free. But if he'll need to hire someone to write the scripts for him, it can cost more than some expensive solutions already available.

Leo Revzin
Zevrix Solutions
Solutions for Graphics & Print
http://zevrix.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back