PDF to TIF automation solution

Win or Mac, Definately Photoshop

Win or Mac, Definately Photoshop

As a previous person replied, the combination of AppleScript and Photoshop Droplet is definately the most powerful, allowing you to setup a dialog box to quickly select a specific resolution or destination folder.

The only reservation I would have is that I'd really want to be certain that conversion to TIF is really what I needed in the end as upsizing vector content inside the PDF would then have limitations.

Check to see if the app you're preparing these TIF's for will import the PDF via drag and drop into its work window. Lots of newer software that accommodate EPS/vector content also have the ability to parse PDF's, if so, make sure to compare the resulting image with the PDF also opened in Acrobat. Sometimes there are misalignments of layers, styled text, etc.

...on mac you don't even need photoshop as you can use the Automator application and set up a workflow that would otherwise be a tedious process, this is what i do on thousands of PDF's...

andrew

Hello,
He is in need of a software that can automate his need to convert various PDFs or various size into Raster Tif or various Dpi.

When you talk about raster TIFF, do you mean tiff files that are screened? If so, at what resolution and screen ruling?

Apago Piktor can render a composite image. It's a full fledged RIP.

Putting in PowerSWITCH may be overkill, FullSWITCH may be more appropriate.

Lucid Dream has a RIP you can buy too. You can also buy a resolution limited Harlequin RIP, limited to 1500 DPI.

I have...

I have...

Hi Jean,

I have the available plug-in with us by which we can generate hi-res or low res tiff from pdf.

-rav

Hello,
A friend of mine is looking for a solution for his workflows. He is in need of a software that can automate his need to convert various PDFs or various size into Raster Tif or various Dpi. Something that can be automated with hot folder. Does anyone have an idea if such tool exist?

Many thanks!

Jean-Claude

Not familiar with OneVision Sicuriq, but have used OneVision Asura here for quite a few years and it does this sort of thing beautifully. Will take eps or pdf input and will output tiff, but also jpg, pdf, eps, and can be configured to do any of those outputs to different folders from one input, meaning drop an eps and output a tiff one way, jpg another, etc.

System has grown to two Asura servers running a combined 70+ channels and don't know what we'd do without it now.

jack

We offer two automated solutions, one is using EFI XFlow or Oris Normalizer by CGS. Which solution you decide depends on the workflow etc you require. We have online demo's of both which you can trial via an FTP Upload

We've used ORIS Works for many years to convert many different file formats into TIFF files for our printers. It's proven to be very functional and extensible with workflows and very stable over time. Not sure what your budget is like, but the CGS/ORIS products help us produce over 30,000 book pages and 400+ maps annually.

QPDFRaster

A program to rasterize all the pages of a PDF at the resolution you want and convert them to PDF, TIFF, EPS, JPG on individual pages, no problem of color profiles, CMYK images, black text only in black.
You can apply trapping, anti-aliasing, convert to RGB, GRAY, CMYK, enlarge / reduce, compressed as ZIP or JPG, etc.
These PDFs are sent to a printer, to CTP, to film, if the result is the same, no difference between the two.

QPDF - QualityPDF

...and.. Paginacion Virtual

Last edited:
Asura print production software

Asura print production software

Asura is still being used at the Mercury News in San Jose...fully automated, color corrections etc

As previously mentionned, AppleScript along with AppleScript's folder actions can probably do just what your looking for. This is just a draft but it works here if you drag a bunch of PDF over the scripts icon, after compiling and saving that script as an application, it will resave the PDF as Tiffs inside a folder named "Tiffs from PDF" on your desktop. If you need more help, you can go to MacScripter

on open item_list

tell application "Finder"
activate
if not (exists folder "Tiffs from PDF" of desktop) then
make new folder at desktop with properties {name:"Tiffs from PDF"}
end if
set tiff_from_pdf_folder to folder "Tiffs from PDF" of desktop as string
end tell
repeat with this_item in item_list
if name extension of (info for this_item) is "pdf" then
set this_pdf_page to 1
--the next 3 lines are used to gather the amount of pages in the PDF
set theFile to POSIX path of this_item
do shell script "/usr/bin/mdls -name kMDItemNumberOfPages " & quoted form of theFile & " | /usr/bin/grep -o '[0-9]\\+$'"
set pagecount to the result

--this will make sure every page of the PDF is processed
repeat pagecount times
tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS4"
activate
--some properties of the next line can be changed such as "resolution 200" or "mode:RGB" and so on, they define how Photoshop will rasterize the PDF
set pspdf to {class:pDF open options, bits per channel:eight, crop page:media box, mode:CMYK, resolution:300, use antialias:true, page:this_pdf_page}

--some properties of the next line can be changed such as "image compression:LZW" or "embed color profile:false" and so on, they define the available Tiff saving options
set tiffoptions to {class:TIFF save options, image compression:none, byte order:Mac OS, save alpha channels:false, save spot colors:true, save layers:false, embed color profile:true}

open this_item with options pspdf
set pdf_name to get the name of current document
flatten document pdf_name
save document pdf_name in file (tiff_from_pdf_folder) as TIFF with options tiffoptions appending lowercase extension without copying
close current document saving no
end tell
set this_pdf_page to this_pdf_page + 1
end repeat
end if
end repeat
end open

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back