PDF trapping options with Delta 7.5??

I hope somebody can help me with this question, a little backrground... We bought a ctp system with a delta 7.5 Rip and after getting this up and running we are now focusing on tweaking as much as we can to get our CTP life started. We have no problems with trapping on placed eps files from native Indesign files, we do not get any trapping when sending placed pdf's with in Indesign. We are new to this Rip and are running without any support from any outside help but are very amazed at what we have done with this so far. Don't go telling me that its time to upgrade, ( we know that, but for a while we are going to have to make this work as best as we can) what is the procedure for getting trapping from pdf files. Do we need a different print cue set-up ? Any suggestion would be appreciated as I know there a few of you guys that this will bring back fond memories... Thanks :confused:

Last edited:
I would say from my foggy memory that you would need to print directly from Acrobat (7 maybe 8 or 9) you are going to have to experiment. Send it to one of you trapping ques and measure the results. This is what we did in the past, but I think it was from Acrobat 6, 2002.

Contact me offline for further help.

John Barr

[email protected]

I'll have to try that, we tried a lot of different ways but I think that was not one of them. We usually have to backsave most files to 1.5 to get them to run, Anything newer is hit or miss. Then we run Pitstop to get everything right and have to place them in Indesign 3.0 and send to Delta then Signa classic. We have been quite pleased with how far we got with this system but with the demand of using pdf's, if we can't get the trapping this way, the upgrade may have to come sooner.. Thanks

I'll have to try that, we tried a lot of different ways but I think that was not one of them. We usually have to backsave most files to 1.5 to get them to run, Anything newer is hit or miss. Then we run Pitstop to get everything right and have to place them in Indesign 3.0 and send to Delta then Signa classic. We have been quite pleased with how far we got with this system but with the demand of using pdf's, if we can't get the trapping this way, the upgrade may have to come sooner.. Thanks[/QUOTE

Are any of your pdfs trapping?
Are your clients suppling the pdfs? How did they create the pdf, check the pitstop report to which application did they use?

Send client supplied pdfs thru pitstip if it passes preflight there is no reason you need to put it back into CS3, make a hot folder queue and place a shortcut on your desktop, drag the pdf files to that queue
make sure that you have trapping turned on and set up correctly when setting up the queue.
I believe you should be able to get it to work without upgrading.
zBret

We have some pdf's that have trapping in what looks like a placed eps and then was distilled. In the same pdf there are frames on halftones that have no trap at all. So some of it traps and some doesn't. Ill experiment with a couple of your ideas and report back, thanks for the help so far.. !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back