Perfect Binder Specs

Pokei

Hello,

I am trying to build a perfect binder for a non-profit org that is on a tight budget.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the following details:

1) How high should the nipper be? (I am thinking 1/8 inch)

2) How much pressure should the nipper exert on the book? Is there a minimum/maximum? (I am guessing at least 50 lbs. and maybe no more than 200 lbs.)

3) With how much pressure should the cover be pressed against the book block prior to the nipper closing? (I am working with PUR.)

4) How thick should the PUR film be? (I am thinking .25mm)

Please let me know if I need to provide more details. I will welcome any kind of feedback!

Thank you.

Based on my knowledge if you are using PUR then you should have an even 0.4-0.6 mm film. I don't have an idea about the rest of the specs, sorry...

Just out of curiosity, why is it easier / cheaper to actually build your own perfect binder rather than outsource to one of the many companies that will do the work for you?

A good perfect binder is a fairly complex piece of machinery, and even the professionally built PUR models tend to have serious issues with the glue solidifying at the wrong time. How is this feasible?

Josh, you do have some good points, let me see if I can clarify them.

It would be cheaper to build rather than buy because the only expense would be the actual cost of materials and components. I would only need to build the specific features that I need. I am not trying to create a machine for a large range of customers.

In-house would be cheaper than outsourcing because the cost per book would only be for glue–it would also make very short runs possible.

Recent developments in PUR nozzles that minimize exposure to air have solved most of the problems that early adopters experienced. In my design the glue will be exposed for less than a second before the cover is pressed.

Thanks for the interest.

If this is a successful project for you, do you intend to build more of these machines and sell them? There don't seem to be a whole lot of cheap PUR binders around. Are you thinking of a table top type / low volume machine, or a mechanized higher volume binder than can be inline?

I have to admit that I have not really thought about selling binders, I am afraid there may be too much red tape attached...I just do not know.

Maybe binder manufacturers will begin noticing that there is a market for small-size but high-quality machines.

My machine will be approximately 50 x 24 x 20 inches, hand-fed, and bind at a rate of about 300 books per hour.

It seems to me that you're not taking into account a bunch of factors in book production. Sure, you can bind a book, but afterwards you're going to have to cut three sides of it. Is the cover going to have a hinge line? Do you have a creaser as well?

Depending on the size of the books you're looking to create, there are some very reasonable products out there, and it depends on your volume. Given what I've turned up in my research, producing 300 books per hour is nearly impossible with the kind of binder you're talking about creating. It's possible in theory but practically speaking, it's highly unlikely. There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account: a steady supply of glue, a constantly-accessible stack of book blocks, etc. etc.

If this is a hobby of yours or a challenge that you want to take on, with no set deadline, by all means. But if you're looking for a product that gets a specific job done, I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel. Your time, the cost of materials, research+development, et al. It's not as cut and dry as simply running a stack of paper through the machine and you're done.

Rosebud,

>Is the cover going to have a hinge line? Do you have a creaser as well?

Covers will have to be creased before binding–I do have a manual creaser that I intend to use. I am not trying to create a machine that can rival a fully automated high-end production line (trimming will have to be done manually too, in a paper cutter). :)

The binder will run for about 10 seconds per book which computes to 360 books per hour. Of course the actual speed will depend on the person feeding. The covers will be fed automatically.

>a steady supply of glue

The PUR will be applied by an adjustable width nozzle fed by a gear pump. The nozzle will be sealed with high-temperature grease when not in use. (Does anyone know what particular brand/type of grease is suitable?)

>It's not as cut and dry as simply running a stack of paper through the machine and you're done.

I have been planning this project for some time, and (I hope) I appreciate the full complexity of such an undertaking. I really appreciate the feedback as I am sure there are things that I still need to consider, I thank you for your input.

Again, I appreciate any advice anyone might care to give.

Good luck Pokei, I've seen some absolutely amazing projects done in small workshops, it's not rocket science! Why don't you post some pictures & progress reports as you go? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy that.

A couple of things, not sure if they help or not.

The cycle speed on a top end single clamp binder is about 500/hr, but with a good operator you're really looking at about 250/hr. A manual fed 4 clamp binder will get you quite a lot more throughput, but that's not relevant. If you get over 100/hr high quality books through your machine I think you will have achieved a lot.

The PUR nozzle systems I've seen are fairly complex beasts and the timings involved between multiple interacting mechanical systems are down to microseconds. I'm no engineer, but if you're not buying off the shelf, I think the control systems will be a big challenge.

How are you going to address side glueing? It won't be a sellable book unless you get the hinge right!

Thanks, Ian, for the encouragement.

I am still in the planning stage, and while it might not be rocket science, it has taken some pretty hard thinking!

The final output speed is not really critical, you are quite right–100 books an hour would make me happy.

I looked into off-the-shelf PUR nozzle systems...I am afraid that US$10,000 is not in my budget.

With regard to side glueing, my nozzle design is U-shaped, and I am hoping that the glue will cling to the sides as it is applied to the spine...I will have to wait until I have some prototypes built to see if that will work.

Here is a picture from a 3D model I am using to plan everything out:

Attachments

• binder2.jpg
    binder2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 186

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back