Permanent Crop Pitstop and or Acrobat

kaiserwilhelm

I have read many threads on this. I have tried everything.

1. PDF that is 8.5 x 14
2. Want to crop to bottom 3.5 inches only first
3. Went into protection and deleted out extra crop stuff (Or, the Germans would have me believe)
4. Did a Save as as Leonard stated in the past
5. Now, I need to add crop marks. To do this, I need this to become 1 inch larger. Instead of 3.5 tall x 8.5 wide, I need 4.5 tall and 9,5 tall
6. Went to crop and remake page size. No matter what I do, the old size of 14 inches is still there.

Ultimately, I want a 9.5 wide x 4.5 tall pdf with crop marks.

struggled with something similar the other day, I needed to move all the content up 5mm and re-crop, because it was hundreds of pages I had to shift the pdf page boxes around the content, no matter what I tried I could not get it to work with Pitstop and ended up resolving with Prinergy Geometry editor.

I couldn't use crop marks but it seems like you may be ok with that, you could try the following.
1. Pitstop: Clean up trim area. (this should add extend your media and crop boxes and add trim marks at 8.5x14)
2. Pitstop: Remove trim marks.
3. Pitstop: PDF Box Pallette use the 9point selector set it at the bottom and set the height of the Trim box to 3.5inches.
4. Pitstop: Add trim marks.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you only want the only black area at the foot in the attached test file, remove everything else (within limits of PitStop) then add new trims?

Do your files have to contend with bleeds, or is it empty space up to and extending past the trim box?

This would only take me 30 seconds or so using the multi page PDF importer script and InDesign, however it is taking me a little longer in PitStop, so I obviously need more practice!

Stephen Marsh

1. PDF that is 8.5 x 14
3. Went into protection and deleted out extra crop stuff (Or, the Germans would have me believe)
5. Now, I need to add crop marks. To do this, I need this to become 1 inch larger. Instead of 3.5 tall x 8.5 wide, I need 4.5 tall and 9,5 tall
6. Went to crop and remake page size. No matter what I do, the old size of 14 inches is still there.

Attachments

• 8-5_14in.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I like to go into the panel of the Pitstop Inspector that contains all the page box info and manually change the dimensions there, then from the flyout menu choose Apply Boxes to All Pages.

so many ways of doing this. But first, what pages boxes do we know we have? The media box!
change media box to offset and size desired
change trim box to equal media box
change bleed box to equal media box
change bleed box to be 6mm larger than media box (centered)
change media box to be 25mm larger (centered)
add trim marks based on trim box
select all objects in/out of region (outside media box)
remove selection
remove art box

Now all your boxes are where you want them to be.

I like to go into the panel of the Pitstop Inspector that contains all the page box info and manually change the dimensions there, then from the flyout menu choose Apply Boxes to All Pages.

That’s no “fun”, I was trying to do this manually via an action list!

EDIT: OK, I’ll record those steps into the action list then ;] I guess that I am an “action list masochist”, I like to build action lists manually rather than record the steps (greater sense of accomplishment), which is not how I do things in Photoshop, so go figure!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

1. PDF that is 8.5 x 14

Here is a test PDF and a Pitstop action that I think accomplishes what you are wanting. You would need to modify the action to use for different sizes.

Attachments

• TestFiles.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 266
It's not exactly the same I had to do something similar on a job a couple of weeks ago and found that the Pitstop 12 "move page content" global change was really helpful.

Moved the content where it needed to be with the global change and chose "save as action list" from the global change submenu, then added in the change to the trim box on the resulting action list.

Move page content has an option to automatically mirror on even pages so it worked really well to save a bunch of steps in getting the facing pages just right.

Shawn

you will not like my answer

you will not like my answer

1. PDF that is 8.5 x 14
-- snip --

You have not tired this;

Tell the person sending you this mess to get their act together and build the file correctly.

Way simpler.

;)

I created the file, Michael.

I am using GMC Inspire to create a letter / reply (8.5 x 14 inches) pdf.
However, for scanline testing, we need only the 3.5 inches at the bottom.

I want to crop down to the 3.5, then put on crop marks. IF the buttons actually did what they claim they do, this wold work. I have hit the clean up 30 times now. The artwork is still there. Never cleaned up.

Are you talking about the 'Clean up Trim area' Global Change in PitStop?

IF so how is it configured?

If you double click and open the Global change you have options so you can configure to your needs.

Have to say that this need to resize a page and add crop marks seems pretty straightforward to me or am I missing something?

It might be straightforward, but it has been a royal pain in the butt.

8.5 x 14
Crop down to 8.5 x 3.5 (bottom 3.5 inches)
Now, create an area big enough for crops - say, 9.5 x 4.5
Now, add crops.

@Kaiserwilhelm

Can you post a sample file?

Let's get this sorted out one and for all.

(try joes action first :)

Have to say that this need to resize a page and add crop marks seems pretty straightforward to me or am I missing something?
Offsetting the Media box by a negative amount only seems to work on the page you are viewing + if there is a Crop box you can't easily see the change. Then trying to apply to all pages in document pages appears to have no effect.

Are you doing this in the PitStop Inspector Glenn?
Try using the 'Show Page Boxes' that should help show what is going on

ABC - here is a test file.

I want to crop this down to red only. Then, increase the size to 9.5 wide x 4.5 tall. Then, in the white area, put in crop marks.

Attachments

• Test.pdf
    3.6 KB · Views: 265
now i get it

now i get it

ABC - here is a test file.

I want to crop this down to red only. Then, increase the size to 9.5 wide x 4.5 tall. Then, in the white area, put in crop marks.

Ok now I get it. you can't do a permanent crop as such. It would need to be a different approach, delete all except the red and then resize. if that's ok it's doable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back