Picture frame

JOHNYPRINT

Hi all
"picture frame " is a new term to me but i think it refers to the build up of ink arond the blanket. could anybody confirm this and let me know there thoughts on how to keep on top of it, any good tips.
regards johnyprint

Hey JP,
You have it right. The ink build up outside the paper edges us usually a sign of over pressure between plate and blanket.

Just a Comment

Just a Comment

Hello J. Beniston, thank you for the enlightenment, I always practised the "Golden Rules" of Lithography, The 3 Ms -- Minimum of Ink, Minimum of Damp, Minimum of Pressure.

I also like Johnyprint had never heard the term "picture framing" until I saw it being mention on this Forum.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Picture Framing is also caused by an incompatibility between fountain solution and ink, or not enough gum replenishment in your fountain solution to keep your plate from becoming sensitive.

In my experience J. Beniston and tambo are both correct. Too much pressure from plate to blanket can cause the plate to become sensitive therefore creating ink build up where the sheet is not printing on the blanket. I've seen this happen when a pressman over packs the blanket by accident and doesn't check blanket to bearer height with a proper gauge. However usually with this problem you'll have scumming and sensitivity in the image area also.

More common however (at least for us) is tambo's explanation. Our alcohol substitute was incompatible with our magenta and cyan inks causing them to break down creating picture framing on the blanket and back cylinders. You'll usually see tiny little ink particles floating in your water troughs as well and ink slinging everywhere creating a big mess.

Mike

the piture framing is due to too much ink,too much water,too much pressure and also due to plate being not developed properly.i have faced this problem and by simply by changing to a different plates solved the problem

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back