Pitstop - Check for screened images

Karlroma

Is it possible to check for images that have been scanned with a screen, eg: image from a printed magazine using Pitstop?

We have had a .pdf that contained a image that had been scanned from a printed page. The mono job was printed resulting in a moire. The customer would not pay for a high resolution proof which would have shown this problem. I have been told that Pitstop will pick up on images that already contain a screen. I believe that Pitstop will only show compression, type and colour space of a image embedded in a .pdf, am I missing something here?

Thanks

No, you cannot "check" the image content itself. Only that it is an image, of a particular color space, dimension and resolution.

Karlroma
Don't give up so easily. Challenge someone to think "outside the box".

My question would not be, is there an available solution in a box but rather, would it be technically possible that software could be written to detect a pre-screened image? Take the simplest example - a B&W image. Is it possible for someone to come up with an algorithm that would check consecutive pixels and find that there is a reoccurring pattern?

If so, then this could be applied to a single channel of a process image as well.

this scenario Karlroma faces is excactly why you need to provide clients with your specifications detailing the minimum requirements that a client's supplied file has to meet in order to ensure predictable and consistent results off the press, these specs must include that an industry standard Fogra/ISO proof is to be suplied to run to or its all care and no responsibility.

My company handles over 3000 pdf files per week and all we check for is file to press compatibility, we are not art directors and yes this needs to be communicated to your clients via a specification sheet that acompanies any quotation for work.

regards
Maas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back