PitStop Pro compatibility with Acrobat DC

abc

Hi all

You have probably seen that the latest Acrobat version, Adobe Acrobat DC is now available.

Just a note if you are running on a Macintosh then you will need PitStop 12 update 3 or PitStop 13 (when released) to work with Acrobat DC.

We already did a lot of the work preparing for this new Acrobat with the 12 update 3 Version which was released in October last year.

On Macintosh previous versions of PitStop will not been seen when installed as Acrobat DC is 64-bit now and those older PitStop versions are 32-bit.

Acrobat DC on Windows is still 32-bit so will be ok

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Would you happen to know if you can safely install DC from the CC panel, without affecting your existing Acrobat Pro XI installs and PitStop configs? or will it overwrite XI.

From what I have read on various forums it replaces the Acrobat XI installation.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7413513#7413513

For PitStop on Macintosh before you upgrade, what you can do is go into the applications folder to Acrobat XI and right click on the 'Adobe Acrobat Pro' icon for 'show package contents'

That will open a folder structure, if you go to 'plugins' you will see an 'Enfocus' folder. If you copy that to your desktop and then do the Acrobat upgrade, you then repeat the process backwards and put it back in the same place in Acrobat DC.
That gets around having to re-install PitStop again.

Well that's just rude of them to replace your existing version. INDD, PS, AI always let you do different apps for each new release. Wow, the people on that forum should have done a little research before updating. I thought it was an update for INDD at first because they changed the color of the icon, lol.

For PitStop on Macintosh before you upgrade, what you can do is go into the applications folder to Acrobat XI and right click on the 'Adobe Acrobat Pro' icon for 'show package contents'

That will open a folder structure, if you go to 'plugins' you will see an 'Enfocus' folder. If you copy that to your desktop and then do the Acrobat upgrade, you then repeat the process backwards and put it back in the same place in Acrobat DC.

DO NOT put the plug-ins back inside the application package! This is NOT recommended behavior since Acrobat X and will cause problems such as the one you are seeing now. Acrobat X and later support an EXTERNAL plugin folder where they are safe across updates and upgrades. PLEASE use that folder instead.

Well that's just rude of them to replace your existing version. INDD, PS, AI always let you do different apps for each new release.

While it is true that the CC apps do this, Acrobat has NEVER supported multiple versions of the application installed at the same time. Yes, I am aware that customers do it - but we CANNOT and DO NOT support such a configuration. You are on your own - as evidenced by this expectation that we wouldn't replace your old version.

Hi Leonard,

What does Acrobat DC bring to the table for us in the printing industry?

Also, what is Adobe's plan for continued updates to CC apps? Will they continue to update the 2014 version or will there be a 2015, 2016, and so on version? If the latter, why?

Thank you,
pd

What does Acrobat DC bring to the table for us in the printing industry?

Specific to the printing industry - the main item would be a completely rewritten, faster, more functional Preflight tool.

However, you also get all the other major features such as the improved (and VERY customizable) UI, eSignatures (which are great for things like custom proof signoff or just customer contracts), cool improvements such as the new Organize Pages feature, etc.

Yet still having Output Preview open and shift+clicking an object creates a new sticky note instead of adding to the current selection. Have you all lost your minds over at Adobe?

Writing was on the wall for a while, Adobe's priority is web and mobile, like the rest of Hi-tech industry.
They do not care much about printing and prepress anymore, I can't blame them.
I do appreciate faster Acrobat, as soon as our plugins gets updated, I will switch, too bad I can not keep old and new acrobat in parallel as usually.

Thanks for the information. Would you happen to know if you can safely install DC from the CC panel, without affecting your existing Acrobat Pro XI installs and PitStop configs? or will it overwrite XI.

If you temporarily move your XI out of the applications folder, then DC will not overwrite it when installing. Keep zipped versions of previous Acrobat/Pitstop installs somewhere else on your system. just in case.

DO NOT put the plug-ins back inside the application package! This is NOT recommended behavior since Acrobat X and will cause problems such as the one you are seeing now. Acrobat X and later support an EXTERNAL plugin folder where they are safe across updates and upgrades. PLEASE use that folder instead.

Where is that external plugins folder and how would I force Pitstop to install there instead of the hidden folder?

If you temporarily move your XI out of the applications folder, then DC will not overwrite it when installing. Keep zipped versions of previous Acrobat/Pitstop installs somewhere else on your system. just in case.

I actually tried that on my first install of Acrobat DC and when I restored the Acrobat XI folder afterwards Acrobat XI would not launch and I had to re-install it. So the install affects more of Acrobat XI then what is in the application folder.

I think you need to also remove all the stuff in the main Library/Application Support/ Adobe/ then any folder named Acrobat for your version. Do the same for user/Library/ Application Support/ Adobe so that stuff isn't overwritten. It's getting to be a PITA to install stuff anymore as they put stuff all over the place now. This should work, although I haven't tried it because I won't be installing this new version myself.

Cannot see selected tool in Acrobat DC

Cannot see selected tool in Acrobat DC

A'm I the only one that cannot see the selected Pitstop tool i Acrobat DC?

In Acrobat XI the selected tool was marked with an emboss, but not in the new version noting indicates wich tool is in use.

That is really annoying.... :mad:
I guess it's another compability issue or?

Yes I've noticed it too and yes it is annoying. It seems to only be with the Pitstop tools. The Acrobat tools turn blue when they are selected.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back