Plate Catch up

A heavier ink film gives you a larger 'scale' of the thickness of ink film to provide adjustment percentage wise to.

Think of a foot versus an inch, just as an exxagerated example. The movement within in an inch of any increment is a minute one, compared to the movement within a foot, 12 inches.

Again exxagerated, but the difference between an ink film of .3 mil and .4-.5 mil mil is quite significant when you are trying to art together the marriage of ink and water film chemistries.

D Ink Man

Yes but there is a balance point between ink and water, increase the ink and you need to increase the water (within limits of course)

This problem does not sound like a balance problem, if it were then it would always be doing it, this is an intermittent issue but we have not found the variable that is tripping the plates into catch-up.

There must be a variable at work here, its just not surfaced yet and i wouldn't be tipping stuff into my inks just yet.

Yes but there is a balance point between ink and water, increase the ink and you need to increase the water (within limits of course)

This problem does not sound like a balance problem, if it were then it would always be doing it, this is an intermittent issue but we have not found the variable that is tripping the plates into catch-up.

There must be a variable at work here, its just not surfaced yet and i wouldn't be tipping stuff into my inks just yet.

My question would now be this> Does it seem to be more occuring with certain types of ink coverage?
Particularly lighter coverages would be my guess. True?

D

Catch - up Again !

Catch - up Again !

Gentlemen,

Salient Points: 1) Ink Flows into the roller train 2) Dampening Fluid also flows into the inking/dampening system

BUT -- Only the dampening fluid - Keep the Plates Clean !! which means no Catch -Up

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Salient Points: 1) Ink Flows into the roller train 2) Dampening Fluid also flows into the inking/dampening system

BUT -- Only the dampening fluid - Keep the Plates Clean !! which means no Catch -Up

Regards, Alois

Well, yes, I am sure that all on here will know that. :)

But am also sure that the OP is not suffering intermittent cyan catch-up on two presses simply because they are not running enough fount?

@ Alois

Sometimes becaue of 'doubts' a floor manager will ignore an ink problem for a year because on operator has "no issue" and an other does. I've had that happen...difference? I was running very light cyan coverages, and the other operator wasn't. Only person that got to see the problme was me.

@ pacificiam

If the problem is occuring on cyan, what happens when the operators raise up dampening levels? Does the catch up disappear? Why do they run waters lower? Is it because otherwise the dot gain goes out of contorl, over-emulsification, etc? If that is the case, it indicates the window of operation on your cyan ink is too small - can't run more water because it falls appart, but running too little is leaving your plate dry. This feels like an ink problem to me.

Pacificiam, If you give me the phone number of your ink company I will call them and arrange a meeting with yourself and your press crew so that this problem can be properly identified. They will hopefully have some suggestions and possible corrective actions and have someone observe the issues you are having. Prior to doing this you will have of course got Cyan ink from another supplier and run it through your presses for a week, if you still have THE SAME issue then you should go through your process very thoroughly before involving your supplier. If the new ink runs without any issues you now have enough evidence to show your ink supplier that you are pretty sure this is an ink issue.
Good luck

Last edited:
Pacificiam, If you give me the phone number of your ink company I will call them and arrange a meeting with yourself and your press crew so that this problem can be properly identified. They will hopefully have some suggestions and possible corrective actions and have someone observe the issues you are having. Prior to doing this you will have of course got Cyan ink from another supplier and run it through your presses for a week, if you still have THE SAME issue then you should go through your process very thoroughly before involving your supplier. If the new ink runs without any issues you now have enough evidence to show your ink supplier that you are pretty sure this is an ink issue.
Good luck

Hi,

We have changed the ink.
But I think this is not my permanant solution. As this problem not occure on regualr basis. Still we show some evidance to ink manufacture.

Hope they will give some solution over it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back