PMS 877 Silver not so metallic

Muddy

I'm printing a piece that is to be printed on a very dark gray heavy cover stock. The client is using PMS 877 silver but wants to remove as much of the metallic look as possible. We are thinking that if we cut it with mixing white we may be able to dull the color down a little bit to something a little more grayish color and lose some of the metallic properties of the ink

Is there anything else that you think we should be looking to try?

Is there a particular reason they want that color? How about just using PMS 7543. This looks the same to me without the metallic look.

If I understand you correctly, your customer only wants the hue of the 877 without the metallic sheen. If this is the case, I would try mixing opaque white with transparent white. Being that you are printing on a dark gray stock you could most likely hit the hue of the 877 by partially masking the gray with a percentage of opaque white. I would recommend you start off with a 9:1 mix ratio, 9-parts trans white to 1-part opaque and increase from there. However, if this is not the case disregard my rambling.. :)

877 on dark stocks tends to look white. Opaque white has a yellowish tint that is not as appealing. We use imitation 877 that is for laser safe applications which does not have as bad leafing properties as regular 877 and only has about 20 percent of the metallic particles in it. You should be able to get this from your ink manufacture.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm buying all of you a virtual beer this evening. If you don't show I'll just drink it myself

We've been successful with a 2 parts silver to one part of matte varnish. Customer is doing final press proof in a half hour but I'm sure this is what he's looking for.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back