PMS Color Quark VS Illustrator

sprudhom

Ok I have 1 quark file.
With a graphic element created in quark with PMS216
With 1 eps (illustrator) linked with inside a graphic element that have the color PMS216
The 2 colors have the same name. In Quark in my color Palett I have only 1 PMS216 wich is suppose to be correct.
I print on a Xerox laser printer with no color managing.
The two color are different.
What is the problem...
Excuse my english i'm french

The CMYK color builds for the PMS between the 2 applications are different. Pick the color build you like the best and retag the color with those CMYK percentages in both Quark and Illustrator files so they match.

The issue most likely starts with you being in one color working space in Quark and another color working space in Illustrator.

I'll assume you're probably working in CMYK, and what that means is that to get to the equivalent of a PMS color in each color space, you're going to have differing CMYK values.

If you're in RGB the same rules basically apply, with an even further twist thrown in by Illustrator.

If you're printing to a RIP, and the RIP has a PMS library and you have it on and operating correctly, then it will account for input color space discrepancies and look for the closest match it can get to the L*a*b* value of the called PMS color in the destination color space--your printer color space...

Of course in order for that to happen, you have to be using color management, and the engine you're driving the printer with has to have a PMS library. If both of those things aren't true, then not only does your printer driver (RIP or otherwise) have no idea what PMS216 is, it has no idea what color space to render it into. So in that case what it does is just takes the raw CMYK numbers the file refers to as PMS216 and passes them through to print.

If in your two programs you're creating in two color spaces, then of course those CMYK numbers will be different, and your final color will be different.

Fact is there's really no such thing as "no color managing" and every pixel in every digital file you create relates to some color space. You can choose it yourself or have your applications choose it for you. But even if you choose "no color management" all the application does is use a default working space and then not tag the file. Digital color is color by numbers. If you're going to try and do it, it's pretty simple: You can either put the numbers to work for you...or you can fight them.

And if you fight them, my experience has been that they always win.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:
One other thing to check is to make sure that the printer is processing the files through the Postscript driver. Otherwise your printer will process the low res preview of the EPS which will have very different color than the rest of the file.

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back