Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Xerox 700DCP

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Canon IR Advance Pro 9075

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DigiPrint

Curious on people's opinion within PrintPlanet. If money did not matter, and you were in a position where you could buy any product in the Light Production Color platform from any of these suppliers, which products would you choose from:

Konica Minolta C6501
Ricoh 700EX
Xerox 700 DCP
Canon IR Advance Pro 9075

Last edited:
I just went through this purchase decision and I took the advice of another printer and actually tried all the machines. I asked each vendor to allow me to trial their equipment for 2 weeks. I know what you are thinking, I am crazy for taking that much time to learn 3 different products and have them come in and out and invest essentially 6 weeks doing this. I tested the Konica first, then the Xerox, thrid Ricoh. Well, I also got to run equipment for free, with no click charges/lease costs for 6 weeks either. But also, I was making a 4 year business decision, or more depending on your business model.

C6501 - tested decent, the color was nice but not saturated enough and the delta sheet to sheet varied way too much. Not much color control to be able to tweak jobs. I had trouble running coated stocks 12pt, though it is supposed to be able to duplex these no problem, I think that spec should be re visited. This was outfitted with a booklet maker, it only holds like 20 booklets which was a pain to have to baby the machine. Compared to some of the other products, not being able to change out the fuser was a big down because I ran a large 17" job and it cut into the fuser a bit and was being shown on a 12x18" job the next day. Had to wait for service to come in, they were quick and all but obviously a pain for production. Also had some issues with curling and the registration was a bit of a guessing game.

X700 - Loved it. The color was fantastic sheet to sheet and it held well throughout the 2 weeks while I trialed the equipment. I have now had it installed 7 months, and it is holding up really well, of course I do have to routinely calibrate, I do it daily because I am anal about color. No problem running coated media through here, great with some synthetic stocks as well - run polyester fairly regularly and I have a nice 14pt stock, which technically is rated too high for the device but it takes it no problem. Now that we have had this installed for a while we have pushed the envelope a bit and the machine will duplex most stocks its not rated to do, we can push a 100/110lb cover through here no problem - I had one issue and just did that one manual like I was supposed to initially I guess. Another great thing was being able to swap out the parts, Ricoh suggested this was a negative having to do maintenance yourself! Hello, we are printers, have you ever seen a press, you have to see my speedmaster in the back, you have to play with it sometimes. Total flexibility with all the components, highly recommended. Probably the biggest reason we love this is the service, my service guy teaches me a bit more everytime he comes so that I am able to control things myself better, the analyst has been great I have called on him a couple of times. A friend of mine in the business doesn't utilize his service/support network enough, that is what keeps me going and I am happy for it.

We ran the Ricoh c720, not the 700EX, that is lower level and not production - but anyway, stay away...holy cow. This machine performed extremely well in the demo, and that is why I had it come in third because I thought that was the one I was going to keep. It did not perform well at all in the shop, this machine was a nightmare with color from day to day. It handled media decently, but curling was a major issue that they need to resolve, the stock was very hard to cut afterwards. The service team did not have many others in the area, so they did even know how to work it very well and the one day we were down with parts. for quite a while. Same issue with changing out parts. I think this machine from Ricoh is a decent first shot, and they may be a bigger player in the future, but for the time being don't jeopardise your business and your reputation.

In the end, did I pay more for Xerox, sure I did. The machine was about $200 more per month (lease) and the clicks were over a penny more. This is money well spent, double or triple that and I am still in - I am in the business of printing, and I need to be printing, quickly & consistently and I got it from Xerox. The machine, which needs to be satisfactory, is only one component, and most of them are pretty good; but the continued operation of the device hitting those colors, and the service/support network was unmatched by a long shot.

Sorry for the long drawn out response, when I saw this post I had to comment because it was so close to home.

Joe Ronaldi
President
Creative Media Services

Last edited:
If money didn't matter than it would be the Xerox hands down. Service can be a pain at times and god help you if you ever owe them any money but their machines are top of the line.

My own personal experience with the Canon 9065 (just a bit slower than the 9075) has not been good so far. Inconsistent colour is my biggest issue, lack of service support hasn't helped although that can't be all laid at the feet of Canon. The machine is being leased through a third party.

The interface is overly complicated for no apparent reason and it seems like you have to be constantly calibrating the machine job to job to maintain colour integrity. Image quality is not what I would expect for a "Light Production" machine. I had better image quality running Xerox machines 10 years ago.

But unfortunately money is the master in this business and we are not high volume enough to make the Xerox make financial sense.

Wouldn't the Ricoh C720 be more inline with these other pieces listed? The 700EX is an office machine, not production.

I completely agree with CMS. We had a similar test on all these machines except the Ricoh box and ended up purchasing both a Canon iR9075 and a Xerox DCP. The main reason for the purchase of the iR9075 was cost as it was a third less money than the others. However after using it I would never purchase another. The quality on uncoated media is terrible and our technician spends more time with us than his wife. Over the same time period (6 months) we've called service on our Xerox 4 times (about 212K clicks currently. I would rate the KM6501 in second place in this lineup.

I just went through this purchase decision and I took the advice of another printer and actually tried all the machines. I asked each vendor to allow me to trial their equipment for 2 weeks. I know what you are thinking, I am crazy for taking that much time to learn 3 different products and have them come in and out and invest essentially 6 weeks doing this. I tested the Konica first, then the Xerox, thrid Ricoh. Well, I also got to run equipment for free, with no click charges/lease costs for 6 weeks either. But also, I was making a 4 year business decision, or more depending on your business model.

C6501 - tested decent, the color was nice but not saturated enough and the delta sheet to sheet varied way too much. Not much color control to be able to tweak jobs. I had trouble running coated stocks 12pt, though it is supposed to be able to duplex these no problem, I think that spec should be re visited. This was outfitted with a booklet maker, it only holds like 20 booklets which was a pain to have to baby the machine. Compared to some of the other products, not being able to change out the fuser was a big down because I ran a large 17" job and it cut into the fuser a bit and was being shown on a 12x18" job the next day. Had to wait for service to come in, they were quick and all but obviously a pain for production. Also had some issues with curling and the registration was a bit of a guessing game.

X700 - Loved it. The color was fantastic sheet to sheet and it held well throughout the 2 weeks while I trialed the equipment. I have now had it installed 7 months, and it is holding up really well, of course I do have to routinely calibrate, I do it daily because I am anal about color. No problem running coated media through here, great with some synthetic stocks as well - run polyester fairly regularly and I have a nice 14pt stock, which technically is rated too high for the device but it takes it no problem. On another note, now that we have had this installed for a while we have pushed the envelope a bit and the machine will duplex most stocks its not rated to do, we can push a 100/110lb cover through here no problem - I had one issue and just did that one manual. Another great thing was being able to swap out the parts, Ricoh suggested this was a negative having to do maintenance yourself! Hello, we are printers, have you ever seen a press, you have to play with it sometimes. Total flexibility with all the components, highly recommended. Probably the biggest reason we love this is the post sales support from analysts to service to 2nd level support. A friend of mine in the business doesn't utilize his service/support network enough, but I am telling you, that is what keeps this going and keeps you printing.

Ricoh c720 - stay away...holy cow. This machine performed extremely well in the demo, and that is why I had it come in third because I thought that was the one I was going to keep. It did not perform well at all in the shop, this machine was a nightmare with color from day to day. It handled media decently, but curling was a major issue that they need to resolve, the stock was very hard to cut afterwards. The service team did not have many others in the area, so they did even know how to work it very well and the one day we were down with parts. for quite a while. Same issue with changing out parts. I think this machine from Ricoh is a decent first shot, and they may be a bigger player in the future, but for the time being don't jeopardise your business and your reputation.

In the end, did I pay more for Xerox, sure I did. The machine was about $200 more per month (lease) and the clicks were over a penny more, so pretty much it costs be $18 a business day to work with Xerox. That is $18 well spent, double or triple that and I am still in - I am in the business of printing, and I need to be printing, quickly & consistently and I got it from Xerox. The machine, which needs to be satisfactory, is only one component; the continued operation of the device hitting those colors, and the service/support network was unmatched by a long shot.

Sorry for the long ramble, when I saw this post I had to comment because it was so close to home.

Joe Ronaldi
President
Creative Media Services

Almost perfect, forgot to mention the 2400x2400. Better luck next time.

Ricoh 700 vs 720

Ricoh 700 vs 720

I agree, this poll should have the 720 on it as it is a better faceoff. Having said that, I bought one over the 700 which I tested (based on price) and now I have a Ricoh 720 I am paying for and not using on my floor, and I went and bought a 700 from the demo room for a bit cheaper. I ending up paying more in the end, but now at least I am getting quality work out the door. Color was a huge challenge with the C720 from Ricoh.

Have had the KM for almost two years has done a great job. Run 12pt coated stock daily no problem, if you are have your service guy change or adjust the feed rollers. As far as quality depends looked at canon and zerox when I looked at the Km test files. All did a good job but liked the look of more files on the KM good deal on click charge so went we that. As far as duplex only 110lb Cover not 12pt any way goes faster if you print one side then print second. Going to print show in Chicago to look at the Konica Minolta C800. New belt feeding of stock, reads color of each sheet and adjust while running for consistent color, 16pt (350gsm) heaviest of any of the machines, 80 per minute letter size up to 12pt and 70 per minute on16pt. Check it out at YouTube

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back