Possible to spot varnish a low-volume run?

AppleMan

Hey guys, new to the forum and had a quick question.

I'm getting a brochure/proposal printed on the Xerox iGen4 next week and while I was hoping to get parts of the proposal spot varnished, I quickly found that it was wildly too expensive because it would have to be done on an Offset Press.

I was wondering if there was any way to get parts of the proposal spot varnished (or at the very least, just the logo on the cover of the proposal) without running it through an Offset Press.

Forgive the ignorant question, but does the iGen4 have any kind of capability to spot varnish, or "spot gloss" images?

I would have had this proposal printed on an Offset Press if it were a large run, but I am only printing about 20 of these and while the layout and images are all the same, they all have variable/personalized text. (So as far as I know, a Digital Press is my only option, with the cost per print actually making sense.)

Would really appreciate it if you know of any options so that I could at least get the logo on the cover of the proposals I'm having printed to stand out more (whether by spot varnish, spot gloss, or some other way (?), without spending an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance!

If it's only 20 brochures why not just brush on varnish manually where you need it?

If it's only 20 brochures why not just brush on varnish manually where you need it?

See, I'm a newbie to all this! Had no idea that could be done. Do most printers have the capability to manually varnish? Does it cost much?

A very few digital "presses" have the capability to spot varnish, i.e. the Canon C1+, so you should ask around and eventually you'll find a printer with one.

There's also a manufacturer that makes a machine specifically for short run digital varnish called Dryprint. I know nothing much about the machine, but the following link might help:- Dryprint launches spot and flood UV coater at Northprint | printweek.com | Post Press and Finishing News and Jobs from the Finishing Bindery Sector | PostPress and Finishing

Most of the UV coaters on the market for short runs are flood only, but Kompac does a nice machine that will also spot coat. Bear in mind that this is more of a "traditional" machine, i.e. it's using real UV varnish not a clear toner, so you will have to factor in plate making costs and set up.

Hope that helps.

See, I'm a newbie to all this! Had no idea that could be done. Do most printers have the capability to manually varnish? Does it cost much?

Basically I'm just trying to think outside the box. Sometimes we have a tendency of thinking that machines should do it all when really some of the functions are very basic.

If I were you I would print some overs (so you can spoil some while practicing) and then either brush the varnish on or perhaps spray it on after masking off the area that you want to varnish. I'm only suggesting this because of the small quantity you are doing and it may be easier and faster than finding a printer who has all the right gear to do it. Obviously this isn't viable if you are doing a large quantity and it won't be UV.

I don't think most printers would do this manually and I was suggesting you could do this yourself.

I'm not up to speed on the iGen but we have a NexPress 2100 with clearkote capabilities.
Spot or flood, no problem. It's basically a 5/c digital press.
Just wanted to let you know there are options out there.

Screen print option

Screen print option

Digital, Offset, but also a Silk Screen graphics printer (T-shirts aren't the only things we screen printers can do) can spot UV coat cost effectively do to lower prep and set-up costs.

Fujifilm showed a digital varnisher at Drupa, provisionally called "Emblaze"; an inkjet device able to apply spot or flood varnish, matt, silk or gloss effects using just the one liquid and just one pass, for finishing offset or digitally printed sheets. It was said to be intended to to do as little as one sheet up to the cost justification breakpoint (compared to offset varnishing) which was said to have been calculated at about 2000 sheets. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be commercially available yet!
regards,
Barry

Ernie S

Ernie S

I have gotten excellent results on my Indigo 5000 by spot matt varnishing the areas that I do not want to shine. The effect is same as spot varnish.

how to manually spot varnish your piece

how to manually spot varnish your piece

The following procedure is suitable for a run as short as 20 and is ridiculously cost-effective.

1. buy a spray can of matt varnish from the art supply store
  2. cut a stencil from stiff thin board
  3. mask and spray. Repeat as necessary.
:D

Silkscreen

Silkscreen

I had never thought of the manual method although it might be the ticket. The first thing I thought of when I read the original post was SILKSCREEN. We spot varnish all kinds of things with Silkscreen. Particularly when the quantity is low or when the item won't run through an offset press. I've seen really nice results on Display Headers with Spot UV Varnish.

For the size item you are talking a T-Shirt printer would be quite capable of doing it as a previous poster mentioned.

IGEN or any Xerox is crap trying to spot, flood coat or laminate. -- even tho they tell you there is answers to the problem its a corporate con which leads to disapointment.. Unfortunately I don't know of any offset method that sticks to Xerox output because of the carried weight of varnish.. If anyone knows lets make ourselves millionaires. The machines that can do it like KOmpac & Dryprint are $75000 + devices and need pates at $200 per shot. Same cost as doing it screen printed.
It goes against my grain as a laminator to agree that something like the Nexpress can duplicate what's needed.
I've decided to get a machine together that flood coats, spots and carries other coatings at $25 to $30000 or so. Just need the interest .Oh ,,plates per job at $7 each! Any supporters?

Digital spot coating

Digital spot coating

Only the Kodak NexPress Production Digital color press is capable of producing spot dull (glossy looking on uncoated or dull stock) inline and variably on demand. They have had this option for several years and I see several direct mail pieces using their technology. Kodak also introduced last year dimmension variable digital coating that can be controlled in both densitity (thickness) and gives the effect of thermography.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back