Postscript Type 1 Fonts and OS X 10.6 +

circa_bc

Has anyone run into the issue with OSX 10.6+ no longer supporting Postscript type 1 fonts? Im trying to find a decent font converter but everyone i've used keeps drooping out special characters or mangling the font all together.

Any advice would be fantastic :)

thanks

Make sure your OS is up to date, there was recently an update to fix some font issues for OSX. Not sure if it'll fix your issue or not but it's worth a shot.

Has anyone run into the issue with OSX 10.6+ no longer supporting Postscript type 1 fonts? Im trying to find a decent font converter but everyone i've used keeps drooping out special characters or mangling the font all together.

First and foremost, you may not have the RIGHT to convert the fonts from Type 1 to another format!

For example, the Adobe Type 1 Font Library does _NOT_ grant you the right to convert them. So any attempt to do so is a violation of the law and I STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT go down that path.

Instead, the correct solution is to contact the font vendor (be it Adobe or other) and purchase an upgrade to (most likely) OpenType format for your fonts. If you own a number of them, I am sure that the vendor will offer you a "bulk discount" (I know we do).

I haven't seen any new issues with well designed PS fonts in 10.6. The last update to 10.6.7 had some problems with OpenType fonts, but that was just fixed with the previously mentioned patch.

Are the issues you're seeing with native PS fonts when used in 10.6 or are the issues with the fonts after they've been converted?

It's possible that you could have a corrupt font cache. Try clearing them out and see if it helps. FontNuke is a good free too for this.
jamapi.com :: FontNuke - A FREE tool for removing font cache files on Mac OS X

If the issues are after the conversion it's a prime example of some of the issues with converting a font from one format to another. It's not only legally wrong, but it often doesn't work that well.

Converting the Postscript version of a Font to TrueType (or other format) doesn't make the resulting font exactly the same as the native TrueType version of the font. Subtle differences in the underlying font data make the bastardized font wrong. It's like messing with the font DNA, and if the bastardized fonts get out in the wild, the unintended consequences COULD DESTROY US ALL.

Sorry, slipped into wild-haired rant mode for a second. Seriously though, I've seen a number of output issues caused by these bastard fonts over the years and feel like it's my duty to discourage their creation. Font management is already a big enough mess, and converted fonts tend to poison the well. They can be named exactly the same as the "real" version but won't output or are just different enough that they cause rewrap or kerning problems. Pay Adobe or whoever for a true OTF font or continue using the native PS font.

Anyway I'll put my tinfoil hat back on and go back to cleaning out corrupted screen font suitcases with my copy of Font/DA mover.

Good luck.
Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back