PPML to PDF

choicemkg

Does anyone know of any software that can convert a PPML to a printable pdf file?
I am running a Xerox DC5000 with a external Fiery and a Xerox DP700 with an internal Fiery. The problem is I need to to move print jobs on the fly and the DP700 does not support PPML files. So I am looking for a quick way to covert this files to PDF format so the DP700 can print it. Tried to run it as a postscript but it takes way to long.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would probably start with talking to the people at Lexigraph. If anyone would be able to help you with this, it would probably be them.

Tony - thanks a lot, that's a pretty awesome tool. Listen I've been trying to get access to the PPML specifications so I can figure out how to send a PPML with multiple stocks. Do you know of a good way to get there? Emails to my Xerox rep about this go unanswered :(

EDIT: I'm trying to use CheckPPML and it's giving me an error that it can't find Distiller. I have Adobe stuff installed on my G drive so I think that may be why it isn't finding it. Anyone know how to direct CheckPPML to the correct location?

Last edited:
PPML info

PPML info

Tony - thanks a lot, that's a pretty awesome tool. Listen I've been trying to get access to the PPML specifications so I can figure out how to send a PPML with multiple stocks. Do you know of a good way to get there? Emails to my Xerox rep about this go unanswered :(

Jason, some answers:
  1. The PPML specifications are all available (free download) at PODi's PPML specific web page <http://PPML.podi.org> (Also there are some PPML specific case studies and the CheckPPML tool there also.) The PPML/GA spec is the subset that is tested interoperable across platforms (manufacturers) and is what PODi uses to certify both PPML producing & consuming products.
  2. Regarding stock selection, this is device specific and the most common current solution is to specify that within the printing device, either at the DFE (your Fiery) or the printer itself. This usually takes the form of printing the first X sheets for each record/recipient from bin 1, and the balance from bin 2. I believe Xerox FreeFlow offers additional control if you have that option.
  3. The future direction for stock selection is JDF, and PPML is designed to interact with JDF. Information within the data file can be used (by JDF) to specify stock/binding, and more. For example, some attribute of a recipient could be used to specify paper color (bin) of the greeting letter in a package, and that greeting letter might vary between one and three sheets depending on length of content before switching bins for the body stock. Some of this is in-place today, much more is in the pipeline.
  4. Regarding the lack of response from your rep, talk to the sales manager. You can suggest that you need to begin seeing support/information for your current device if they would like you to be a repeat customer.:D

EDIT: I'm trying to use CheckPPML and it's giving me an error that it can't find Distiller. I have Adobe stuff installed on my G drive so I think that may be why it isn't finding it. Anyone know how to direct CheckPPML to the correct location?

CheckPPML is a java application that runs on both PC & Mac.
  1. If you are on a PC, CheckPPML uses a registry key to find Adobe Distiller (a component of paid Acrobat products, not Reader). You should be able to select between the Adobe or Ghostscript distillers within CheckPPML's "setup" tab.
  2. If you are on a Mac, you have the choice of the native Mac distiller or Ghostscript, but not the Adobe Distiller. This is because Adobe's distiller apparently cannot be scripted by a java ap on the Mac.
  3. Do find the CheckPPML_Guide.pdf file within your CheckPPML folder for additional info. There is an email address there for additional support, and you will need to furnish more information about your configuration (platform/OS/versions/etc.

For general information about PODi (and help in growing your VDP business) go to <www.podi.org>

Hope that helps,
- Jim

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info Jim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you not have to sign in to the Podi site to download the specifications? It asks you to register, and to provide your Podi member number of your company. My company isn't an actual Podi member, but since we use all Xerox machines I figured I could use the Xerox membership.

What I'm trying to do is print some coupon books that has a cover sheet every four pages. I do have the option within Freeflow to set a special page to use a different stock, but I'd have to set 100 special pages if my PDF is 400 pages, and I'm trying to get it done in the PPML so I don't have to do that. Sounds like JDF is my answer. I'll ask my rep if our iGen 3 does currently JDF. EDIT: These are personalized coupon books mailed directly to the recipient in a clear envelope.

Thanks for the info on CheckPPML. I'll have a look in the registry.jar file and see if I can modify the path to find Distiller.

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Thanks a lot for the info Jim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you not have to sign in to the Podi site to download the specifications? It asks you to register, and to provide your Podi member number of your company. My company isn't an actual Podi member, but since we use all Xerox machines I figured I could use the Xerox membership.

Jason, downloading the PPML/GA spec does not require a login. Go to <http://ppml.podi.org> and you will find them all under the "specifications" tab (you are probably looking for PPML/GA2.2 for your current equipment). Other items, like free version of CheckPPML, require you to register and login, but no membership is required. And then there are PODi features like the more than 300 case studies, where the summaries are accessible with possibly a login, but getting the full case studies w/pictures does require membership. Same thing with sales & production tools that help you grow your business.

What I'm trying to do is print some coupon books that has a cover sheet every four pages. I do have the option within Freeflow to set a special page to use a different stock, but I'd have to set 100 special pages if my PDF is 400 pages, and I'm trying to get it done in the PPML so I don't have to do that. Sounds like JDF is my answer. I'll ask my rep if our iGen 3 does currently JDF. EDIT: These are personalized coupon books mailed directly to the recipient in a clear envelope.

If you are doing this with PPML for the DC5000 (for the higher production speeds you will achieve with PPML), I believe you can specify within Freeflow that the first page for each record(or coupon book is printed as a special page, but that is a Xerox question. In the case of the pdf version for the DP700 (with the internal or "embedded" Fiery that does not support PPML), your best option may be to generate a stream of 4pg PDFs, which would allow you to specify the special first page. CheckPPML can be scripted with the command line interface to assist with this. Note that the free version of CheckPPML is limited to printing 100 pages at a time (though you can specify start & end points for each 100 page "chunk"). The paid version does not have the 100 page limitation, and it runs faster.

- Jim

Last edited:
You can generate from xml, Fo to ppml, pdf... with help of XEP

You can generate from xml, Fo to ppml, pdf... with help of XEP

Hi,
I know how to generate from xml, fo to ppml or pdf. It is RenderX product, which name is XEP. But about your main question sorry, don't know :(

Hi,
I know how to generate from xml, fo to ppml or pdf. It is RenderX product, which name is XEP.
About your main question:
CheckPPML can also be run from the command line. It must be run as:
java -jar <installation-directory>/manifest.jar <parameters>
The parameters are as follows:
• -o <output file>: instructs CheckPPML to generate a manifest file with the given name
• -pdf <pdf file>: instructs CheckPPML to convert the PPML file to a PDF file with the given
name
• -distiller: instructs CheckPPML to use Adobe Distiller for PostScript to PDF conversion
• -gs: instructs CheckPPML to use AFPL GhostScript for PostScript to PDF conversion
• -checkEPS: instruct CheckPPML to perform EPS conformance tests on PostScript content
• -debug: instruct CheckPPML to keep the generated PostScript files for debugging
purposes
• -from <pagenr>: instruct CheckPPML to only create output for pages starting at the
specified page number
• -to <pagenr>: instruct CheckPPML to only create output for pages upto the specified page
number
• -s <directory>: instructs CheckPPML to lookup relative file names in the PPML file in the
given directory in stead of the directory in which the PPML file is located
• -d <description>: defines the descriptive text to be used in the manifest file
• -f <feature name> <category name>: defines the name of a feature and category to be
included in the manifest file (may be specified multiple times) the remaining arguments are
assumed to be PPML files that must be processed. Output will only be generated for the
last PPML file; the other PPML files are processed to gather global reusable object
definitions. Error and warning messages will be generated on the standard error output.

You will need jdk/jre 1.5

You will need jdk/jre 1.5

I was getting frustrated by Checkppml not starting on my windows 7 machine. After seeing it start properly on my Mac I found that the software only is supported by java jdk/jre 1.5. If you have the latest Java package then you will receive class errors or the checkppml executable will not start.

BTW, Checkppml does not support SVG data format.

That's because CheckPPML tests for conformance to the commonly used PPML/GA PPML subset, which is interoperable across many devices. Use of SVG is not PPML/GA compliant, and running files that incorporate those SVG extensions requires information that is proprietary to Indigo devices. (Indigo's SpeedStream DFEs are certified to run PPML/GA conforming files in addition to the proprietarry files that contain SVG text acceleration.;) )

CheckPPML works with both jdk/jre 1.5 & 1.6

CheckPPML works with both jdk/jre 1.5 & 1.6

I was getting frustrated by Checkppml not starting on my windows 7 machine. After seeing it start properly on my Mac I found that the software only is supported by java jdk/jre 1.5. If you have the latest Java package then you will receive class errors or the checkppml executable will not start.

CheckPPML runs with both java 1.5, and on 1.6 since it was first released. I am currently running it with java 1.6 update22, and there are a number of Windows_7 users.

The problem carlmcdade is seeing is most likely that he/she is running 64-bit java, and CheckPPML (like many mainstream applications) only runs under 32-bit java, as described in the documentation. Note that a 64-bit Windows OS can run 32-bit java without any difficulty. (Uninstall the 64-bit java before installing 32-bit java.)

Why doesn't CheckPPML support 64-bit java? Answer: because some of the open-source libraries that it relies upon are only available as 32-bit.

FYI -- Both Mac & PC users can check their java version (but unfortunately not whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit by going to the java test website: <http://javatester.org/version.html>

maybe we can offer you a small utilty, VPPDFFreeform, to do merge action, We developed this tool for low-end digital printer or desktop printer to do variable printing. in that situation, the RIP of those printer generally dosn't support PPML or Freeform or Channel Merge. Contact us for further testing if you are interested.

Running Indigo 5500s

Running Indigo 5500s

Thanks Edward,

We are running Indigo 5500s. I am testing DesignMerge for PPML capabilities and would like to take a look at your utility. So far I have come to the conclusion that I may have to write all the PPML templates by hand. If it would be a great help if I can avoid that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back