Preflight Poker

Cory Smith

29-Preflight-Poker-800.jpg

I bet they're using known information about their jobs as provided by the CSRs, but were asked to print anyway.

Ha! Ha! My friends and I always complain about that stuff. But I've gotten to the point that sometimes I don't bother holding up jobs because of low res pictures; when I call the customer they usually say, "I know it looks bad. It's from my camera phone. Just get it done!"

Agreed, if a job is missing fonts, I just grab from the library I've accumulated over the years. No bleeds, just enlarge the photo, or hack some on quickly. And low res images, simply get a sticky note on the contract proof. These days it's all about getting the proof out now.

And to David from Markzware. I haven't seen a flightcheck icon on a job in many many years. Maybe the $399 pricetag has something to do with it? And I'm thinking most shops (like mine) do preflight with Acrobat.

Agreed, if a job is missing fonts, I just grab from the library I've accumulated over the years. No bleeds, just enlarge the photo, or hack some on quickly. And low res images, simply get a sticky note on the contract proof. These days it's all about getting the proof out now.

And to David from Markzware. I haven't seen a flightcheck icon on a job in many many years. Maybe the $399 pricetag has something to do with it? And I'm thinking most shops (like mine) do preflight with Acrobat.

Price tag maybe, but I think market education is more likely the issue. Adobe Acrobat Preflight is fine, if you can handle it. Prepress operators generally can, but the beauty of FlightCheck is it's ability to preflight source or native files (Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, etc) and also postflight the PDF job, all via one app. This way you have one, common preflight report and mechanism to fall back on and discuss in prepress - and - an easy to understand preflight report, with the handy "Page Layout" feature for creatives . Many are using Flightcheck Professional and actually we see more and more graphic designers and the likes taking it up.

Do you ask your clients to first preflight print-jobs before sending into your print-shop?

More info on Page Layout feature in FC Pro v6.75 with added CS5 support just released:
Page Layout Feature – FlightCheck Can Find and Fix Preflight Error Problems | Markzware

My big problem w/ FlightCheck is that the interface (such as it is) doesn't cope well w/ multiple files --- by contrast, PreFlight Pro (now bought out by Adobe and built into InDesign) allowed one to have a document window into which one could drag files --- and if the app crashed, one could reload the document window and pick up where one left off --- and one could add last-minute files as well.

Extensis Preflight Pro? I think that program got shut down permanently. Where did you see that Adobe bought Preflight Pro? The InDesign preflight function looks like a complete rip off of Markzware's FlightCheck Studio product.

What would you like to see different with FlightCheck Pro and multiple files? Would you want individual reports for each one, or a group report, or something different? When collecting them do you collect all as one large job with a shared fonts and links folder or as individual jobs?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back