Preps 5.3.1 Device Setup & Profiles + Magnus 400

MattG

Hey All:

I used to work at another company that used the Rampage workflow and we used to set up page sizes in the ppd and went through the steps of saving and loading the profiles so the plate would be positioned correctly on the sheet (Preps 3.7). I have been working at this company for 2 years now on Prinergy Evo using Preps 5.3 running to a Magnus 400.

It was just recently when we purchased a used press that I found out that although they have a something in the Device Setup called "Press Sheet Size", there is nothing in the device configuration in regards to the punch. Also, in the profiles, it's set to default. They apparently have been getting away with rolling cylinders and adjusting templates.

Can anyone tell me whether on this version of Preps you still have go through the whole setup of sheet sizes and profiles as I did in the old days and if so, can you enlighten me on the process?

Thank You!

Hey All:

I used to work at another company that used the Rampage workflow and we used to set up page sizes in the ppd and went through the steps of saving and loading the profiles so the plate would be positioned correctly on the sheet (Preps 3.7). I have been working at this company for 2 years now on Prinergy Evo using Preps 5.3 running to a Magnus 400.

It was just recently when we purchased a used press that I found out that although they have a something in the Device Setup called "Press Sheet Size", there is nothing in the device configuration in regards to the punch. Also, in the profiles, it's set to default. They apparently have been getting away with rolling cylinders and adjusting templates.

Can anyone tell me whether on this version of Preps you still have go through the whole setup of sheet sizes and profiles as I did in the old days and if so, can you enlighten me on the process?

Thank You!

So nobody out there has had to adjust the image position on the plates? or does this just come automatically with the ppd?????

Creating named device printers in Preps 5.3.3 on a mac.

Creating named device printers in Preps 5.3.3 on a mac.

I use Preps 5.3.3 as a stand alone application on a mac and can help you with that.

Basically you can create several named devices such as "SM 74 Plate" (or whatever, it's just a name) based on the ssicolor ppd and set a punch location for that device. In your signatures, you would ALWAYS set the punch to "0". You would then print from Preps to that device producing a Plate size pdf which would be manually downloaded to the RIP. In this way, the same signature can be used to print to different presses.

Attached are two examples from my Preps printers folder.

Al

PressSheetSize

PressSheetSize

MattG,

PressSheetSize is a generically defined PPD that has no need for punch aspects. It was defined to work with Prinergy workflows, as it was found that a majority of users were defining the plate output properties in the Process Plan or Process Template.

If however, you are using a non-Prinergy workflow OR you want to have that physical control in Preps as opposed to a Prinergy solution, you still can. In the method as you have always been doing in Preps by defining your Media (Device) properties, then a punch location.

For the record, PressSheetSize is equal to exactly the signature sheet size (width/height). If you have a need to show marks that are in the space outside of this region. I would recommend defining a Media (Device), or use Preps 6 which now has PressSheetSize plus to add a margin to the top, bottom and sides to account for these marks.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Patrick Kerr
Preps - Subject Matter Expert

MattG,

PressSheetSize is a generically defined PPD that has no need for punch aspects. It was defined to work with Prinergy workflows, as it was found that a majority of users were defining the plate output properties in the Process Plan or Process Template.

If however, you are using a non-Prinergy workflow OR you want to have that physical control in Preps as opposed to a Prinergy solution, you still can. In the method as you have always been doing in Preps by defining your Media (Device) properties, then a punch location.

For the record, PressSheetSize is equal to exactly the signature sheet size (width/height). If you have a need to show marks that are in the space outside of this region. I would recommend defining a Media (Device), or use Preps 6 which now has PressSheetSize plus to add a margin to the top, bottom and sides to account for these marks.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Patrick Kerr

Thanks for responding guys...it helped out a lot!

MattG,

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Patrick Kerr

Hi Patrick:

Using the PressSheetSize works perfectly when imaging plates for larger sheet sizes (17.5x22.5) but why does it shift to the bottom when using a 12x18 or 11x17 template? I tried to find the Magnus400S in the Brisque Devices, but it's not there. There's the Magnus Quantum and, if I understand correctly, the Lotem 400 is similar to the Magnus 400S but not exactly the same printer. I tried contacting Kodak and was told the correct Magnus400(V3) driver was going to cost me at least $150. Anyway, I tried using the Lotem 400 and adjust the punch, but I can't get it to move in the correct position without the marks going off the tail. Right now, I'm just manually making my template with an extra .5" gripper area so I can get it all on the sheet. Is that the only way I can move the smaller sheet sizes? Anything you might suggest? (We are using Prinergy Evo 4.1)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes I am. Read carefully my post of 6-11 @ 9:56 on this thread. Note also that I had a brief exchange with Patrick about this method over on the GUA forums and he acknowledged that it would work.

Al

Yes I am. Read carefully my post of 6-11 @ 9:56 on this thread. Note also that I had a brief exchange with Patrick about this method over on the GUA forums and he acknowledged that it would work.

Al

Thanks Al. I'll give it a shot and see how that works. I used to work on RAMPage and we had to set up our own RAMPage ppd and sheet sizes manually along with the punch so moving over to Prinergy has been a bit of a change to what I'm used to.

Thanks Al. I'll give it a shot and see how that works. I used to work on RAMPage and we had to set up our own RAMPage ppd and sheet sizes manually along with the punch so moving over to Prinergy has been a bit of a change to what I'm used to.

Al:

Dumb question....How come when I select "A" and put in my coordinates, it changes it to "B"? I get the right orientation in Preps Preview, however when I view through Prinergy, the orientation is correct as far as the image goes, but my sheet size is rotated 90 degrees.

I am afraid I don't understand your question. In what dialog of what application are you selecting "A"? Is this "A" an output device created as I suggested? This may be a Prinergy problem. I rum Preps 5.3.3 as a stand alone application. I have no experience with Prinergy.

Al

I am afraid I don't understand your question. In what dialog of what application are you selecting "A"? Is this "A" an output device created as I suggested? This may be a Prinergy problem. I rum Preps 5.3.3 as a stand alone application. I have no experience with Prinergy.

Al

No - I'm referring to the punch positions. I'm using the device that you suggested and it seems to work with the exception that it keeps changing my punch position from A on the bottom to B on the right side. Maybe I need to change my sheet size orientation?

OK i am catching on.

For QM 46 example I gave the relevant lines are:

*PageSize QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0

*PageRegion QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0

*PaperDimension QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000"

You didn't by chance exchange the first two numbers in one of those lines?

The QM 46 is a portrait orientation device with 963 across, and 1431 around the cylinder.

Does that help?

Al

OK i am catching on.

For QM 46 example I gave the relevant lines are:

*PageSize QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0

*PageRegion QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0

*PaperDimension QM 46 Plate: "963.00000 1431.00000"

You didn't by chance exchange the first two numbers in one of those lines?

The QM 46 is a portrait orientation device with 963 across, and 1431 around the cylinder.

Does that help?

Al

No, I didn't change anything in that regards. I did try to see if it would change anything by switching the dimensions, but for some reason it still rotates. We have a guy coming in that works on Prinergy, so maybe he can enlighten me on why it wants to rotate it. I'm running Preps 5.3.1 which had issues with positioning in perfecting but that's not what I'm setting up for. Thanks again for your help!

On the old Trendsetter we had a print console. Then on the print console there was a program within that you created your own PPD automatically then you just put that on a server or hard drive where preps will see that ppd (if you place your ppd in the printers folder) and choose that when defining the device in preps 5.3 under setup.

Thanks Hansman - interesting that you mentioned that. We just had a former Kodak Tech come in and showed me how that works. I haven't tried it yet but when I get a chance, I'll see how it goes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back