Preps / Ax 4.0 trouble

RVNG

Hi Folks - sorry, me again...

I am running AX 4.0 and we use Preps 4.2 as our impo software. Preps is on a separate machine (win2000 server) which is connected to the network. Recently this computer died and I replaced it with another win2000 server box but now have run into some problems after re-installing Preps:

I have shared out the Marks & Templates folders but the AX (win2003 server) does not see them on the network, I must do a “Connect To” in Network Neighborhood for the folders to be accessed by AX.

Also, if I modify a template and write over the template file with the same name AX will not refresh the changed template. I must make a new name for every template that needs a revision. (ie. add a form, change a work style, etc). It was not like this before.

Is there any setting (network or AX) that I should be making to have the AX server instantly recognize the Preps machine and refresh template changes properly?

Thanks
cj

Templates

Templates

Maybe it is a stupid idea, but why don't You store the templates on AX server? Make a folder on AX server, name it like Prepsdata or similar, make it accessible on the network. Copy all of Your templates and marks into this folder, configure AX to read from this folder and configure Your Preps to read from and write into this folder. It works for me with 3.5 AX and Preps 5.x with 4 clients without any problem.

Thanks TLala - Yes it had crossed my mind. In fact we have a failover server that sits idle doing nothing, perhaps even there would be an idea. I must admit though than it bothers me when things don't work like they did, I often like to explore the reasons why even in the face of alternate solutions, I am either a sucker for punishment, or knowledge. Isn't Prepress fun.

cj

Go into the configuration of the Imposition TP. Sounds like it is not looking at the new Preps folder.

Also, on your Preps machine, change the password to "agfa".

Apogee likes to have a local Preps folder. Really, weird that it wants a local folder, but they discourage running Preps on the Apogee box.

Thanks for the response rich,

The impoTP is pointed towards my new shared folders (ie. \\PDSatelite\Templates\ and \\PDSatelite\Marks\) it doesn't like to check them for any modified templates, but it will for any new templates that are added. strange.

Is it that I must changed Windows password to AGFA? We never had this before. All machines have been 'admin'. Is it that AX looks for that?

Thanks,
cj

Of course, the password and user can be anything: but you have to have proper access.

My idea to make Preps usable on more clients is to put the dongle on a network USB switch,

(Belkin : Network USB Hub)

and than you do not need to plug in and out the dongle all the time. (I know a printer with 4 licences - a costly nightmare.)

Has anyone tried this in production? An other way is to have a preps terminal server. But that one cannot be the Apogee server, because terminal server is strictly not recommended.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back