Preps resizing output files

bbmeister

I have a strange problem. Preps is reducing the final output files and we cannot figure it out. We are running Preps on three Macs and only one Mac has this problem. It is running 10.5.8 osx an the Preps version is 5.1.5. We have two digital proofers and it does not matter which one, it still reduces. Our conclusion is that the Preps .ps is the problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob in the Dean

Last edited:
"We have two digital proofers and it does not matter which one, it still reduces."

Are you saying that the problem does not occur using other output devices?

"Our conclusion is that the Preps .ps is the problem."

1. Is that Preps postscript?

2. Describe in detail the tests used to reach this conclusion.

Al

Also, are all three Macs pulling from the same Templates and Marks folder or are they local?

Preps resizing output files

Yes they seem proportional.

Yes Preps .ps

The templates and marks are being pulled from the same location on our server.

We have a HP and Canon plotter. No natter which plotter we use they reduce the same. We can re-postscript from two other Macs that have Preps and it is fine. It is just the one Mac that is running 10.5.8 osx and Preps 5.1.5

Are the other two Macs running Preps 5.1.5 or is the operating system AND Preps different on the problem Mac?

I'd double check the "Fitting/Tiling" menu under "File" in Preps. See if "reduce image to fit" is checked. A former coworker once had saved an imposed PS of a die that went out without noticing it had shrunk. That box was found to be the problem.

Mike

I'd double check the "Fitting/Tiling" menu under "File" in Preps. See if "reduce image to fit" is checked. A former coworker once had saved an imposed PS of a die that went out without noticing it had shrunk. That box was found to be the problem.

Mike

You are right Mike.
The function to which you refer is useful to print impositions on Laser, for example, fitting the size of the imposition to an A3 or A4 size.
If you are not going to use for this the option deactivate it.
Have you tried the version 5.2.1?
Preps 5.2.1 has a new output device named "Press sheet size" that is easier to use.

Nacho

Last edited:
Thanks MWinME

Thanks MWinME

What a DA!!!!
That is the most obvious thing to check, and I didn't. I do appreciate the effort and I'll try to return in kind.
Thanks again,
Bob in the Dena

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back