PREPS - Shared Impo Templates on PC and MAC

Bansheei

Hello again fellas!!!

Im prepress on a mac, trev's production on a PC. We will be working together building templates for jobs. The boss wants one folder that we both access the templates, so we always working with the same templates.

At the moment preps automatically stores my templates inside my preps application folder in the templates folder (MAC). How is everyone sharing the same storage location of templates?

Can you configure preps to, when you do 'Apple L' open templates on either machine it navigates to the same template folder...

any clues or advice is greatly appreciated!
:)

We use Apogee and edit templates on the mac. It is easier for the mac to access a Windows folder, and it works best if the folder is shared from windows using AppleTalk. If I mount the same folder using SMB it will not open the files in Preps, but this is an operation I do once a month after restarting server for maintainance, so I can live with it. This coudld be a weakness due to Apogee, but in a work flow it is very handy just to be able to choose edit original.
I don't know if it is different if you actually use preps for more tham making imposition templates.

You can set Preps to save and open templates from a location of your choice and this includes a location on a network. See the attached pdf.

Al

Attachments

• Preps Preferences.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 227
Just as Al said, point your folder preferences to a folder on a mounted server. You will also want to do this for your printers too. That way you are both using the same printer profiles.

oh, I forgot the real issue.

When you start a new job (apple N) set all the run pages up in order, then 'when you select which template to use' this is when I only have an option from 'my templates folder' stored inside the applications folder on the HD... How can we share the templates when i'm imposing files.

Do we have all the templates on one HD that we both can access and as i use them with jobs I save them into my templates folder with a job number etc... Backing them up in the end with the job (art) once printed and delivered... or something...

Like Al, Bean, and Lukas said, you'll need to have the marks and templates folder on a network share. We use a file server with an appletalk share, but I suppose you could use Network Attached Storage, SAN, or any other technology that can be configured as a network share. Just copy your marks and templates folder to the share, and then you can set up your Preps preferences on any machine on the network to get the templates from there. For shops that use Preps on more than one box, this is the only safe option that I know of.
Once you configure Preps to get the templates from the shared folder, it will automatically go there every time. Just create a new Preps job, (anywhere), import your pages and load the templates from the share. Easy. We save our Preps jobs in the Job folder on our file server so it gets backed up when we archive.

David Watson
Edwards Printing

edwardsprinting.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back