Preps shingling issue

BEL

When I use a 12 page sheetwise template for a saddle stitched book I have the following issue:
Due to constaints of sheet size I must rotate one four page position thus the need for creating independant pages.
When I add creep or shingling all pages reflect the new positions properly except the independant pages. They do move in, but at the spine one page overprints into the other page.
Is there a workaround other than seeing how far the pages should move, turn off shingling on the independant pages, then move them by hand in original software and then place?

Since the one layout is a "custom layout", you have to turn off the bleeds in the gutter manually. The saddle stitch portion already "understands" that there is no bleed in the gutter of a saddle stitch book, but since you've created a custom layout by rotating one half of the one sheet and using independent pages, it considers it a custom layout, not a saddle stitch, so it has no idea what to do with the bleeds, that's why they're overlapping each other and have to be turned off manually.

Last edited:
Oxburger...we have a similar situation but the independent pages aren't creeping properly..one independent page might creep properly, the facing page will not creep at all! Our operator here is pulling his hair out...(and doesnt have much left)

any help would be appreciated.

Preps shingling issue

I do have the bleeds set manually to 0 at the spine.

It still prints one page over the other. I guess it must be a general issue with independant pages. You can place an independant page anywhere on a template over other pages.
I greatly appreciate the input I am receiving, thanks.

We've just realized that even if you have creep set to 0, the pages creep into one another...so for example..2 of our pages were set to creep at 5/32" so, we set the page to bleed at -5/32" and it worked perfectly.

You said "one four page position." So these must be from a separate source file than the other eight. Consider solving the special needs for these pages by rotating them in the run list, and not in the template. Either center them, or apply appropriate offsets in the run list. This way you creep them manually in the run list and not in the template, plus set the bleed to zero at the spine for each of the independent template pages.

Having said all that, why are you applying creep to a signature with such a small page count? Is it part of a larger book? You are not giving us much detail to go on here.

Al

Are you adjusting the bleed to a negative number in the run list? I can't do that on the template because each successive form is different. How did you determine the exact creep measurement of each page?

our preps guy applied manual creep in the template since it was determined that the job crept to much in one area, and not enough in another..

creep is determined with number of pages divided by 4 multiplied by the thickness of the paper.

at least that's the formula that I was taught.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back