Preps to JDF to TotalRip

Anyone been able to implement a JDF solution using Preps Plus 5.3 and TotalRip within Nexus 8.5.

I've come to a roadblock with JDF errors with Nexus when trying to use the JDF to PDF module.

Re: Preps to JDF to TotalRip

I know it did not work with Preps 5.2.x through Nexus 8.4.x. With the release of 8.5 Nexus claimed that it worked but I think that was before Preps 5.3 was relaeased. I'd ask AWS Tech Support.

Support gave me a JDF from Dynastrip which did work then I tried one from Preps 5.3 it didn't. I noticed the Dynastrip JDF had a version of 1.1 while Preps had JDF version 1.2. While I'm not familiar with the differences between them I did notice Preps had alot more information embedded within it.

Do you still have Preps 5.2 installed. Maybe it would work from there?

I believe I still have the installers for 5.2 so I'll make a second install and give it a try again.

I loaded several default installs for previous versions of Preps and found the following:

5.3 (didn't work)
5.2.2 (didn't work)
5.2 (didn't work)
5.1.5 (worked) PDF marks from Preps as a default were saved into a folder called "JDFMarksFlats" in the same locatiion as the JDF file which caused a JDF error in Nexus when processing. Once the marks were moved into the same directory as the jdf file itself then it worked.

Although this only proves that it did work in the past I can't go back to 5.1.5 just to implement JDF.

It appears Artworks needs to update their implementation of JDF within the TotalRip.

I wonder if Odystar has the same problems.

Odystar uses the Adobe Job Ticket output from Preps instead of Preps JDF output if you are using the Odystar Preps Gateway. If you just manually output a JDF from Preps 5.2.x, Odystar will use it but may not process it correctly. I had problems with spot to process conversion from Preps and Odystar also would ignore the Preps JDF Web Growth Compensation information.

I've been told by support that the Nexus support staff nor the Nexus devolpment team have a copy of Preps Pro. Must be hard to develop for that! Nexus will tell you to use Dynastrip. Seems shortsighted on their part.

Actually Odystar does "NOT" use the adobe jdf. It does use the preps JDF. True that there are a few values that get lost.

Nexus 8.6 rev 1, 2, 3 work fine with Preps JDF (all versions)

> {quote:title=PrepressDan wrote:}{quote}
> Actually Odystar does "NOT" use the adobe jdf. It does use the preps JDF. True that there are a few values that get lost.
>
> Nexus 8.6 rev 1, 2, 3 work fine with Preps JDF (all versions)

I haven't used Odystar in awhile but when I was using it the Odystar "Preps Gateway" was using the "Adobe Job Ticket" from within Preps. It's true you can save a Preps JDF and send it through the Odystar "JDF to PDF" gateway manually but that's not what I said. I was talking about the Preps gateway.

Where are you finding Nexus 8.6 rev 2 and rev 3?

I've recently received Nexus 8.6.1 and i'm currently evaluating it's JDFtoPDF module. So far it's working as expected. Folder mapping is a must with Preps as it writes out the PDF marks into it's own folder for each imposed job. That was just one of the show stoppers for me. It now works with Preps Plus 5.3.

I found when using colour mapping in Preps to assign spot colours within a colour bar that the module wouldn't remove the reference the "Spot1, Spot2" colour tags originally given to the spot colour bars. I may need to use the Prepress module to remove unused colours. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I'll keep this thread posted with updates as they progress.

What about JDF out of Metrix to Nexus 8.6.1?

I havent tried Metrix. But if you are just using a jdf2pdf module than I would think it would work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back