preps web templates

tango

Howdy,
Is there a process, or formula, or seat-of-the-pants way to number a web press Preps layout? For example, I need a 96pg book layout, 8 pg per side, 2 sides per web, 2 webs per 32 pg sig, three 32pg sigs for the whole job.
I tried to renumber an old 80pg layout, but it didn't look right and, well, I got scared. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, y'all, Rick

Re: preps web templates

You make up one 32 pg sig numbered 1 through 32 and then you place it in your Preps job 3 times and then add all 96 pages into the Preps run list. Just make sure you specify the template to be whatever you need, perfect bound or saddle stitch and it will arrange the pages properly.

Preps question

Preps question

Joe,

You sound pretty knowledgeable so I was wondering if there was any way you might answer something for me also? (might also be helpful to the original posting). I work for a newspaper (all saddle stitch). We have Preps (5.1.2) also and we have to to make up templates for each entire job which is really annoying, as Dynastrip could collate our pages when we used that years ago. With Preps, for an 8-8 job for example, we have to make up a template as 8-8. The problem occured when we tried to combine two 8 page templates (the way we used to in Dynastrip). When printing as two 8 page sigs, when we tried to print out the second section (pages 9 through 16), there seemed to be a lot of extra steps, but worst of all, both page 1 and 8. and page 16 and 9 would show as 1 Front on the plate, when in fact for press purposes that plate is 3 Front. Same for 1 Back etc...we'd end up with a whole mess of plates marked the same (without distinguishing them as Sig 1, Sig 2 etc) and it would confuse both us, and the pressmen.

Any hints for printing using Preps that would allow me to mark the plates as needed, even manually? I've tried the comments area...no luck. We've been doing it this way for 3 years, but the more commercial work we do, the easier I want the printing proces to be...and I'm gettin' a little sick of having to make up new templates for every job.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Plategirl,

Since you say you are in newspaper I'll assume you are talking about a broadsheet size newspaper. Our press is capable of running 2 sections at the same time so we would do it like this:

2_8page.png

Notice 1-8 and 9-16 are on the same plate.

If it is for a press that can only run 1 section I would impose the the two 8 page sections separately with the following template:

8page.png

I would impose 1-8 as Sec A and then impose 9-16 as a separate job as Sec B.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks

Thanks

Well, what you showed me is how we have it set up right now. what I'm trying to do is to set our jobs up so that I can use 1sig 4 times, for the one job. For instance tonight I'm trying out a new way to do this, it's a 6-6-6-6 and I'm trying it a new way, instead of our old template (6-6-6-6) I'm trying to use the one 6 page template. Where it's getting annoying for me is the text tags. It won't say Sig 2 1 Front etc... so I had to type in $COMMENT on the text tag, and now I have to manually put that on the plate every time I print out a plate. The reason I'm trying a new way is because our paper size is continually shrinking & I thought if I could only figure out a way for us to set up templates in 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 pages, we could combine them to make every single issue, so next time our press size gets cut (we'll be the size of a coupon book if we get any smaller, though) it would be just a "little" easier. Thanks though.

Preps doesn't normally say front or back... Instead it uses A, B, C, etc.
Use the following line in your text tag.

SIG $sig SIDE $side

It will come out as "SIG 1 SIDE A" or "SIG 2 SIDE B"
I hope that helps...

Thanks also

Thanks also

I will give that a try, if the pressmen are able to understand A from B in my shop...(they're used to using front and back). I have the Preps booklet (finally) in front of me and all the symblos throw me for a loop, I'm embarressed to say. Also, would this setup mean Sig 2 front will print out SIG 2 C for the front and SIG 2 D for the back, etc...?? Many thanks,

~Plate girl.

I will give that a try, if the pressmen are able to understand A from B in my shop...(they're used to using front and back). I have the Preps booklet (finally) in front of me and all the symblos throw me for a loop, I'm embarressed to say. Also, would this setup mean Sig 2 front will print out SIG 2 C for the front and SIG 2 D for the back, etc...?? Many thanks,

~Plate girl.

Yes it will. Here is out plate text tag:

Job: $jobname Sig: $sig - $side Web: $web $date $time $COLOR

Your 6-6-6-6 would come out as Sig 1, Sig 2, Sig 3, & Sig 4 with Side A, B, C, etc...

Check with your postpress, there are some options that are do-able yet not practical in your bindingflow. Best is to ask them to fold a dummy and number it. We have different numbering for inhouse and offsite binding, as the equipment has different limitations/possibilities.
(But the thread is old? Who woke the dinosaur)

To plategirl, I used just custom plate marks to label plates, takes, more time and is a pain to remember, but at least the press operator can get on with the job.
We do still have the naming problem with CIP files.
(the reason I end up doing multiple webs is if I have say a 12 page saddle stitched in 3 languages and want to set the runlist 1-12 language 1, 1-12 language 2, 1-12 language 3.)

~Plate girl.

The sides come out with A or B unless you are doing multi web work... in which case it comes out as C and D or E and F depending upon how many actual webs are involved.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back