Presstek Anthem vs Aurora

Tesla

Hi, I think to many people use presstek CTP and plates on PrintPLanet forums. I want to ask a question.

is dot gain same for aurora and anthem plates? Can i print aurora plates with anthem settings?

The Aurora Plate requires less energy to image than the Anthem.
You will need to recalibrate your exposure targets to image properly.
The Anthem will yeild less plates imaged per hour because of this.

KM

KeithManning, thank you for reply.

If Aurora Plates require less energy, how can i set the Dimension 800 settings?

1- Reduce laser powers -400.
2- Speed up the drum speed.

which one?

We have found that the Aurora images right out of the box with the same exposure targets
as were set for our Sword Thermal Gold. (close enough to maintain and reproduce our G7 targets on press)

It would be more correct to say that the Anthem requires more energy ( a longer exposure ) than the Aurora and unfortunetly it is not an adjustment we can accurately make in-house.
It will require a Creo tech to make the adjustment, profile the exposure, test on press, re-adjust if needed and set-up a hot folder for Anthem exposure so we can switch between the two plates on the fly.

I'm assuming you want to switch between the two plates due to the different run lengths of each plate.

Anthem plates & UV Ink HELP

Anthem plates & UV Ink HELP

Is there anybody trying to use Presstek plates and UV ink? We are using the anthem throughout the shop- we had good results until recently on our web that runs UV inks. The plates are breaking down very prematurely. Any help ou there?

Call

Call

Have you tried to call the almighty burning bush in New Hampshire? The laser gods of printing?
The Potentate's of Proprietary?

They should be able to assit you

Uv inks

Uv inks

I've tried everything. The good people up in NH are sending a set of Aurora's. here. The Anthem printed well with those inks for a good period of time- over the summer the situation changed drasticlly. The press is stable. I've never been in a shop that ran UV ink using Thermal plates. Is ther anybody out there printing UV inks using Thermal plates?

Patrick:

UV environments vary site by site.

The best bet to hold up to aggressive UV chemistry, would be to use a post-baked thermal plate,
or a post-baked photopolymer plate.

Non-baked thermal plates have varying degress of success. Our un-baked Energy Elite plate has
been designed to be quite chemically resistant, but in UV environments, your mileage may vary.

Regards,

I've tried everything. The good people up in NH are sending a set of Aurora's. here. The Anthem printed well with those inks for a good period of time- over the summer the situation changed drasticlly. The press is stable. I've never been in a shop that ran UV ink using Thermal plates. Is ther anybody out there printing UV inks using Thermal plates?

As Steve says, UV environments vary drastically, so it's very difficult to say for sure what will work and what won't without testing or verifying the details of what chemicals are being used. (It's typically the UV blanket washes that are the worst on plates)

Post-baked plates are the bullet-proof solution, but the cost of the equipment/space is impractical for small-volume shops. Depending on how harsh your press chemicals are, exactly what chemicals are in there, and what runlengths you're doing, an unbaked plate like Sword Excel could work well for you. However, we also have some customers happily using Thermal Direct in UV printing too - although that's unsupported. (we did it on our booth at Drupa actually, up to about 45k impressions on a narrow web UV).

Good luck - if you want to test our plates let me know and we can arrange samples.

Kevin.

Kevin & Steve

Kevin & Steve

Thanks for your reply. The last time I had anything to do with UV we were using convential plates on a sheetfed. Different animal. I am aware that this blinding can be caused by any number of things. The window does narrow when UV is involed. I just havn't been able to find anyone having true sucess using -these inks-these plates- on that press. A small narrow web. Steve, you did mention you had some good results at one point. Is there any other input you might have? Has this been working out in the trade for any clients?

Thanks

Patrick:

With UV, unless you are using a post-baked thermal plate, all bets are off
until you've done some plate testing within your specific environment.

I'm not certain of your engine - but I suspect it might be a PRST-made Dimension?
I don't believe we've cross-certified Agfa plates and PRST-made engines.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to ask your prospective vendors
for some baked and unbaked plates - pre-imaged with a test form, and see
how they hold up for you. For Agfa, I'd suggest a baked P970, and an unbaked
Energy Elite.

Regards,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back