Prinergy is dead: They are laying off the dev team

Prinergy is dead....what about support?

Prinergy is dead....what about support?

Moving forward, the real question becomes what is Kodak going to do about improving prinergy support for current customers? Our previous rip was with Heidelberg, an excellent workflow with the best screening and excellent support. Since Prinergy was developed with Heidelberg – something Creo people rarely seem to mention - one would expect an excellent workflow - which it is, and at least good support. Not at all – in fact most problems become reoccurring problems.

After contacting Kodak/Creo we typically turn to other printers for solutions whether software or hardware for what turn out to be known issues – yes really. It’s basically self serve support. Prinergy techs work on the symptoms of a hardware problem instead of replacing the bad part – like everyone else. Isn’t this costly for Kodak?

Interesting that Kodak/Creo people aren’t complaining about that kind of support even when it’s posted on their own forums – not even an obligatory “this is unacceptable, what can I do to help?” No one takes responsibility. Where is the concern for the customer?

The Heidelberg Creo partnership didn’t end all that well and apparently the Kodak Creo partnership isn’t going all that well either……for Kodak or their customers.

[snip]The Heidelberg Creo partnership didn’t end all that well and apparently the Kodak Creo partnership isn’t going all that well either……for Kodak or their customers.

Heidelberg Creo was a partnership/joint venture - a very different situation to Kodak's acquisition of the Creo business.

Incidentally when the Prinergy development team was fired/laid off/made redundant so too were all their support people - i.e. technical writers, instructional designers, multimedia people and all of content development supporting Prinergy.

FL

Prinergy is alive....what about support?

Prinergy is alive....what about support?

You are correct - Kodak basically inherited Prinergy self serve support after acquiring Creo a few years ago.

Since any workflow is a major financial and production investment for any printer I certainly hope Kodak is genuine about keeping Prinergy alive and well. In addition, I genuinely hope Kodak at least tries to improve Prinergy support. It’s is such a stark contrast from Heidelberg – who codeveloped Prinergy - where support is excellent.

In this global recession many companies, like Kodak, are reducing staff/laying off/outsourcing jobs to reduce costs to survive. I wish the best to those that have lost their jobs and the best of luck to those that will be taking on the challenge of Prinergy development and support.

Prinergy support is already on life support

Prinergy support is already on life support

Sometimes we don't even bother to contact Kodak even though we have a service contract. Prinergy techs especially don't like to be told it's a reoccurring problem.....memo to Kodak - excellent support typically starts with concern for the customer.

been wondering were this will go. In dec i was told prior to newsrelease that Heidelberg will become the sole supplier and distributer of all Kodak prepress consumables and equipement in Aus/NZ region. It was all a little vague but it looked to include softwared, workflow and platesetter range allong with all the consumables. I think the PRINECT is a great system and intergrated workflow and if they could merge back in a few of the good parts of PRINERGY and iron out a few sluggish points in PRINECT then it would be even better. I hope this doesnt hold back PRINECT in any way or slow down the march of intergration.

Just curious, but is this a reference below to some of the Creo experts Kodak has been laying off in Vancouver recently? It appears that Kodak laid off experts that have failed to solve customer problems:

http://printplanet.com/forums/computer-plate/20449-ctp-problem-no-one-world-can-fix-any-takers/2

These tech services might be able to help out either on the phone or webex, since they are in the US:

Weber Systems 800-399-4294 216-831-0480
Bob Weber|Service Rates|Refurbished Digital Prepress Equipment|Imagesetters|Platesetters|RIPs|Scanners|Film & Plate Processors|Prepress Parts|Computer-to-Plate|Agfa|Creo|Linotype|Screen PTR|Imagesetter

Ace Tech Service 513-312-7154 or 513-673-9444

Unfortunately, we have the same poor (no) support from Kodak in the US for our Kodak (Creo) equipment. We got problems resolved by contacting other printers or companies after working with Creo 'experts.' Apparently, being down just doesn't matter to Kodak or their 'experts.'

Good luck

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back