Prinergy Replacement

jaileer

We're using Prinergy 3/Preps 5 with a Kodak Trendsetter. Our hardware is obviously too new for the software, so we've got one old, slow-as-molasses iMac that we keep around in order to run it. We've looked into upgrading the software, but $30,000 is staggering. We're a small offset shop, and we run a little bit of everything. We have a couple 40" presses in which we can run booklets and such. What other options are out there that might work in place of Prinergy? From the bit I've read, Fuji's offering doesn't seem too well received, and it doesnt appear that there are really that many other options.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions you can provide!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, your original post said Prinergy/Preps 6 so I was hoping you were at least at Prinergy 5 which works fine with newer Macs. Not with version 3 though I'm afraid.

Hi,
You do not have many options for upgrade as you must drive the Trendsetter. StudioRIP is a good alternative, not as expensive as Fuji, Kodak, Agfa. Depends on the version of the Trendsetter, you can or cannot replace the Prinergy. If you need more information write me on personal messages.

CSS Group's DataManager covers the prepress functionality that you have been using with Printergy. PDF files have become the norm for receiving jobs, and DataManager provides tools that are designed to provide all the layers of integration from the ingestion of file receipt (FTP sites included) , order/graphic alignment-comparisons, preflight, merge/extract/split pages, extend bleeds, color enhancement/management building signature lists, integrated through JDF to imposition engines (Metrix, Impostrip, Prinect, AE12, Phoenix) to generate imposed plate ready PDF files. Sending imposed Plate ready files to plate setters, or directly to digital presses can be easily handled.

are upgrades for Prinergy not available? We contact a gent in Ohio and he was able to upgrade our Prinergy Evo.

Yes, it's available -- for $30,000. I think that's excessive for what we're doing, so i'm trying to research and see if I can find something that fits our needs for less.

Upgrading to Prinergy gives you many advantages going forward. If you want cheaper, I'm sure its out there. 30K won't even buy a Honda CRV these days. You have to determine the ROI you can get with it.

XPO or Print Console can drive 1-bit tiffs to the Trendsetter and is workflow independent.
Although 30k is significant for the upgrade you would be paying a considerable amount for a new workflow, the training and learning curve as well as having to convert existing Prinergy jobs to the new system.

If the 30k for Prinergy Connect is too expensive maybe consider going to Prinergy EVO if your demand is not too high.

We were in the same boat as you about a year and half ago. So we decided to upgrade to Prinergy Evo 6 and Preps 7. I think it was roughly about $13,000 that included a new server with the software. Not much has changed with Prinergy and its features (definitely processes jobs a lot faster). But Preps is completely new and I'm a big fan of it. I'm glad we made the jump to upgrade.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back