Print On Demand (POD) Questions

Tech

Hi Everyone,
We have an upcoming project quoted for a first POD run. I have 2 questions regarding POD process...

1) Using toner, any Pantone support is based on ICC conversion? Any PMS metallic spot colors is also emulated/converted, correct? How accurate will spot colors be?

2) PDF/X-1 seems the only logical way to keep this process cheap. Does anyone accept PDF/X-3 with custom color profile output intent? Does the final colors meet client requirement?

3) Previously these covers were run on offset, but due to low count I think people are willing to give POD a chance, color and quality-wise, how does it compare to offset or should we brace ourselves for surprises?

Thanks

Re: Print On Demand (POD) Questions

Hi HappyFriday (I wish it was Friday),

In regards to Pantone color matches, you will never ever match Metallic spots, matching the rest of the Pantone colors is pretty good, much like that of a CMYK offset. BUT it will be dependent on the how well the press and front end are calibrated. Some shops are calibrating several times a day and some not. Most front ends have the Pantone library built in to the software, so when it sees a PMS number it references the Pantone CMYK build for it. If you have the Pantone Color Bridge book you will see that there are PMS colors that are not reproducible CMYK whether it be on press or digital. Some digital presses have a fifth color to allow for a larger gamut that will better match PMS colors. I can say from my digital press we match the Pantone Color Bridge very well.

As for the PDF/X-1 vs PDF/X-3 I can't answerer that, I have not received an X-3 job with output intent. I will say that if the client provides a proof from a CALIBRATED device we have been within 2 to 3 Delta E on color match.

The last question is somewhat loaded, it depends on the press the cover is printed from. Some match offset very well (whether or not they use fuser oil) and some just don't. Any of the production equipment (iGen, Nexpress, ImagePress, DocuColor 8000AP, Indigo...) will have the quality and color to match offset (I hate that term).

Digital is not offset, they actually compliment each other very well, I have found my company doing more smaller jobs for larger offset shops in our area. They just can't be competitive on the smaller stuff. The quality of our output has been put head to head with jobs off the press with very little difference. (CMYK vs CMYK, not CMYK vs CMYK + 3 spots and UV flood) Would the average person have a clue whether it was printed on a $2 million 40" press or a $500,000 digital press, I don't think so, not with the current equipment in the digital production level. As for surprises, there should not be any more than if they were run on an offset press.

Good luck, get some print samples and see for yourself.

Hi Craig,
Thanks for responding and confirming color accuracy. Our project is basically reprints with 4C + 1 spot metallic, which is why I'm concern about the quality. Apparently, there were some sample tests done and approved...but without my input (I never saw the sample) and now it's an afterthought that they are leaving with me to resolve/figure out how to provide files.

Is there a reason POD printers providing little information regarding file setup? This company they picked has virtually no file prep info on their web and everything is going through their CSR. I find this practice rather fishy/strange.

I can't speak for others, but for file prep we are somewhat relaxed for the digital stuff. My preference is PDF/X-1a with bleeds included, but more times than not we are provided regular PDF's from "Joe Customer" who is lucky to be able to make a PDF. CMYK vs RGB colors are not too much of an issue, and we don't have to worry about color separations. To be quite honest I find that as long as the file was prepared as if were going on a offset, it will work for POD.

I'll second what Craig posted, and add that we aim for
"pleasing color" for POD. There are of course times when
complete color accuracy are needed, but the majority of
what we do (and sounds like you do too), is for a non-print
professional. They need their stuff printed and finished, then
delivered in time for the meeting or mailing. As long as it's
in the ballpark we're generally ok.

You hit the nail on the head thomas, most of the time our customers are just worried about how fast we can turn the job. I keep joking about putting in drive thru windows, just drop your file off on one side of the building and pick up your finished order on the other side.

Thomas and Craig:
I always learn something from your posts, so thanks for that.
I had a project last week where a series of postcards were printed four up four color over one on a half size offset press. Then the customer asked for 500 more with the same front but different backs of a particular card. Immediately offset wasn't practical, and the job went to an Indigo. I wondered how the match would be, but it turned out well. I showed both cards to the offset pressman who ran the job, and asked him which one was his offset job. You know the answer, he picked the Indigo. I'll be.....

Another project was done on an Indigo, for a very discerning (translate as you wish) designer. The job had some issues going in the mail, even inside an envelope. I bailed out on the Indigo and found an iGen for a quick mailing test. The designer could sense a difference in the color, even though it was slight, but the customer just loved it.

For the record, I'm not employed by or sell either of these machines. In my mind, Indigo is waterless offset.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

1. There's no way to reproduce metallics in toner based printers. In regards to other PMS colors, Xerox Print Engines with the Xerox FreeFlow Print Server are the only in the industry that have a Pantone certification for both the Engine and the RIP. Look for the Pantone Digital Chips Book at :
http://www.xerox.com/digital-printi...tal-print-resources/creative-design/enus.html

2. PDF/X3 is now supported on some Xerox front ends

3. Remember, color is subjective. In theory it's impossible to match offset and digital quality, but it's very close. The judge will be the eyes of the end user.

I concur on Indigo. It's the most like offset. And, the RIP does have special Pantone Emulation profiles that can get closer to a swatchbook color than traditional CMYK if you use PDF-X/3. If you MUST hit a pantone swatch, Indigo electroink can do that to with their special ink ordering service. I believe it is licensed by Pantone, RIP and all ;)

We've done some POD books on it in the past, and have always laminated the cover. Although abrasion resistance has improved over time, you will want some kind of protective coating on that.

Good luck.

[Jeff Lazerus|http://jefflazerus.com]

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Like you guys said, turnaround time and budget are main reasons for us to go POD instead of offset. As it turned out, this printer is using HP Indigo as well. According to CSR, they are using "liquid ink" to emulate this metallic gold for us. Another possible problem is they are running only one paper stock for our job. Which sounds odd to me, but the person in charge is perfectly happy with both color and may tolerate some error (too long/short) on spine width. He thinks both color/spine width maybe a none issue but will request CSR and let their QC check it proofs. Which translates to CYA if I understood him correctly.

I have yet to received file spec from this CSR...dunno why it's taking so long, but I'll create a PDF/X-1 files and let them worry about it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back