printer recommendation help

theroundcorner

we are looking to buy a new or used printer that can produce plastic and paper business cards in CMYK (SPOT UV optional) we would also like to be able to print other substrates and of course flyers,envelopes pads etc
edge to edge printing is a priority ,as is the cost of the consumables
i suppose my question is do we buy 1 machine that can do it all (if available) or multiple machines to keep costs down any and all help would be appreciated

RE: printer recommendation help

RE: printer recommendation help

Hello The Round Corner, you did not say if you want digital or litho, although I have never seen it done digital.

Previously I have worked in print shops that produced plastic cards by offset litho sheetfed printing onto both paper and plastic paper and then offline laminating the sheets.

The cards were punched out of these laminated sheets either by modern finishing equipment or in one case by using an old platten press with cutting plates. These cutting plates were made by inserting metal into plywood sheets the same size as the original platten chases.

The advantage of printing onto paper and then laminating is that you do not have any artwork limitations that can occur with screen printing or pad printing; also you can laminate to different thicknesses of plastic card, depending on your clients' requirements.
Regards minch.

As Mr Gordo says. What you are planning to print - MGI is the only way as far as digital.

As they said, you need to determine what kind of printing technique you want to use such as digital printing, offset lithography, etc. Try making a business plan and project the costs of buying one printer or several printer so that you would be able to tell more easily which alternative to choose. It's good to know what you want and what you are willing to pay to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital printing is a good choice, if you are producing short run orders. Unlike litho printing, you can do away with initial setup, making it more cost effective for short runs.

I agree with some of the previous comments, if you plan on going with digital printing I would look into MGI. It will probably yield you the best results for what you seem to want. That aside I am a big fan of plastic business cards, they stand out from the others a lot.

For sure digital printer is for short run, but if u have large quantities printing work for booklet, brochoure and etc. For a long term for choosing flexo or offset printer, but u might have your own budget and moment business real condtion. Maybe outsource printing is also a good choice...

Here's what I'm using at home, the Epson Stylus SX425W.

Here's a short description of the product from Techradar.com

The SX425W gives you a a lot for your money, with built-in memory card slots, wi-fi printing and multi-function scanning and copying. It uses Epson's DURABrite inks, which means that the paper is dry as soon as it emerges from the printer, and you get exceptionally clean, bright and smudge-proof output on plain paper.

Photo output is slightly dull by comparison, though, and like a lot of low-cost printers, the SX425W does cost quite a bit to run. It's perfect though, if you want a versatile yet inexpensive document printer for light or occasional use.

Hope this would help.

You can purchase laser printers of DELL, HP, Epson, Xerox or OKI. They provide good quality prints both for business and plastic cards and also document printing at a cheaper rate. They are suitable for duplex printing. You can visit printing companies website and get your chosen product online. These companies provide both brand new as well as used printers. You can opt for the one that suits your need best.

laser toner

I also have used these. The quality is very good. One can fine these from market but I think these companies provide discount and good services.

Could you any one can review those printer list?

Hi all
I'm interested in purchasing small printer shop but I don't know anything about printer.
Konica Minolta 6500 Production,
Konica Minolta 1050 Production B/W,
Riso With 5 Drums,
Canon Ir 600
Thanks in advance
Dooly

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back