Printhead problems on HP Z-series

SKenty

Somewhere recently I saw a discussion about banding on the Z6100. I have a similar problem, in that the banding starts part way thru the print, on both my Z6100 and Z3100. Diagnostic print shows no printhead fault, printheads are in warranty. This is a recurring problem and even happens with NEW printheads. Thewe printers are only a year old. HP doesn't have a solution, only to keep sending new printheads. Anybody have a REAL solution??? Please and Thanks!

So saying:
Printhead nozzles - OK, not clogged.
Paper moving - probably.
In case of Mutoh units aka AGFA Sherpa, roller couplings gave us a lot of headache.
I'm not an expert in HP, sorry.

Me Too

Me Too

I've seen the same thing happen with our 2100. Recently had to run 60 prints with heavy coverage, first 50 ran with no problem but the last 10 were a pain. Printer would start out fine and then have banding where the cyan seemed to drop out. Anyone know what's causing it?

Monkey

A few ideas.

Print the test prints to see if one specific head is at fault. Sometimes heads can be close to the end of their life and still show problems. HP support guided me to this special menu once.

There is a print head alignment routine available on the front panel and also from the web portal.

I have had allot of problems related to the encoder strip which needs frequent cleaning.

Troubleshooting instructions

Troubleshooting instructions

The following instructions are all accessible from the front panel of the printer.

1. Print special diagnostic print to isolate the problem print heads
a. Go to setup menu (This is on the bottom with the printer icon)
b. Once in this menu press the down arrow and cancel button at the same time (Service menu)
c. From the service menu scroll to and enter Service Utilities
d. Enter Diagnostic print
e. Choose Image quality user plot (follow instructions on screen)
2. Observe the 8 solid color squares representing each print head color to isolate the problem print heads
3. Clean the problem head
a. From the main menu pick ink (Top line has ink drop symbols)
b. Choose image quality
c. Clean print heads
d. Choose the print head color in question
4. Return to step 1 and 2 (see if problem is resolved if not go on to step 5)
5. Check head info (this may help to further isolate the specific head with a problem that may still be under warranty)
a. Go to ink menu (Top line has ink drop symbols)
b. Print head info
c. Pick one of the two specific heads in question
d. Check info to see how much ink has fired through the head. (If it is in the 1000 range it is suspect)
e. Check other head of same color as above.
6. Replace print heads
a. Follow front panel instructions for print head replacement
7. Verify problem solved
a. Go back to step 1 to make sure the problem has been resolved

Where to find these instructions? (Cutter change)

Where to find these instructions? (Cutter change)

Thanks so much for posting the instructions to enter Service Menu. I believe yours is the only post on the 'net to do so (after an hours' searching).

Question--we need to enter it to change the cutter head. Does the source you got these instructions from have any more information on that procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Im afraid I dont have access to a source for this. I havent changed the cutter wheel before. This is one of the first things we disabled due to the use of heavy canvas which the cutter will not work on even when new. Also I have found the cutter to inhibit volume workflow more than enhance it. I think a seperate industrial cutter works much better. Sorry I couldnt be of more help here.

Carl

Manuals 4 You - Copier-Printer-Fax Manuals etc

You can download the z6100 Service Manual, that the professional technicians use, and figure out how to do it yourself. I got the manual, and checked, and there are procedures in there on how to replace the cutter head. Seems very simple to do.

I stopped wasting money on service contracts. This manual is worth it's weight in gold. And anything that is too much for me to handle, I just call in an hourly charge third party company.

Just don't tell HP.

Jon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back