Printing a .PS of a specific separation and including Blank Pages. Is it doable?

Gregg

Before this post gets hijacked or off-topic let me state that we are using a separation based workflow in which all text is a single ink (generally black) but on a separate plate from the process inks. This is so countries from all over the globe can print together sharing the same 4/c plates.

Using InDesign, is there a way to print a .PS of the Text separation which would include Blank Pages? For example, the base CMYK PDF is 32 pages, but there is only text on 28 of those pages. Ideally, it seems safer to provide a Text PDF that is the same amount of pages as the 4/c in which it will print with.

We can use the Export function if the art and text are completely separate by simply turing off the Art layer, but there are times where the 4/c art has a Text spot channel within it which is why we would go with the .PS - Distill route.

I feel like I use to be able to do this using the Acrobat Distiller PPD, but I tested it today on an older Mac and it didn't work. I am now using the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD which does not allow blank pages to be included.

Rant: it would be great if ID would allow you to export seps like Quark does. Just sayin...

I don't see the issue . . go to print choose the printer to be a postscript file then check the print blank pages . . . under the output tab select color to be separations . . . then in the windows under that select the black spearation to print . . . seems to work for me . . .

What happens, at least for me, is once you change your output to be separations the checked "Print Blank Pages" button becomes unchecked. You have to go back to that panel to see it.

I see your point . . . try putting a 6 pt "." in black in the bleed area . . then the pages won't be "blank" - worked for me

I'm not sure I'm getting. In other words, the text is treated as a 5th 'colour', or separation. Yes? Why? It seems to me that you are adding expense to the workflow in doing this by requiring an extra plate. Why not just create language specific black plates for each 4-col set? The printer is going to have to change the 5th plate anyway so they can just change the black. How does it help having the text on a separate plate? You could do this in the same original Indesign document by putting the language versions on different layers (which I guess you are already doing). When you create your PDF files for each language version just turn off the the language layers you DON'T want. You will get individualised, language specific PDF files. When the printer outputs the plates they can do one 4-col set and just output the black from the other files. If you ever need to print just one version its all in one PDF. If you have text with Spot colour set it up in the IDN file and create the PDF as you would normally do. You won't have to worry about 'blank' pages as you won't have a 5th, text only, plate. Am I missing something?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back