Printing backlit images

TJD12485

Could anyone offer advice as far as techniques to print images on translucent material that then gets backlit? We run a Vutek QS3200 and have been printing in 540 DPI in three layers image - white layer - image. The customers now want to have their pieces printed in 1080 DPI, but with this machine we cannot run a white layer at 1080. One option was to print double sided with a mirror image on the back. The problem with this is if the registration is off by the slightest amount, even 1/64"-1/32", the image appears fuzzy when backlit, almost like you are looking at it cross eyed. I usually am able to get it registered within a 1/16" but for it to be acceptable it really needs to be perfectly registered.

So I'm trying to come up with other options as to how to print this at 1080. When printed with one layer of image it completely washes out when lit. Two layers of image right on top of each other still wash out, and it looks incredibly dark when not lit. I'm not really sure what else to try. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back