Printing Industry Standards/Dealer Ethics/Disclosures

My purpose for this post was to find out if I am correct in the following statements and if I am are any of the members willing to sign a declaration stating these facts.

The facts set forth herein are of my own personal knowledge and experience of the industry standards.
  1. In my experience and as standard practice in the print industry, equipment that has been installed and used for demonstration purposes are sold as used equipment with all usage disclosed to the buyer.
  2. In my experience and as a standard practice in the print industry, equipment that has been installed and used for exhibition at trade shows are sold as used equipment with all usage disclosed to the buyer.
  3. In my experience, prior usage of the equipment in any manner is disclosed to the buyer in writing prior to the sale and made an addendum to the sales contract.
  4. In my experience equipment that has been used for any purpose other than testing and calibration at the manufacturer facility is sold as used equipment. All usage is always disclosed to the buyer in writing in the purchase agreement.
  5. Withholding or Concealing the prior usage and condition of any equipment sold as ‘new’ or any other condition would be unethical at best if not fraudulent.

I've purchased a number of machines that were used as demonstration models at shows from a variety of vendors. Each and every time I was told up front and received a discount off the price of a new machine. Sometimes the warranty was extended to meet or exceed the warranty on a new machine. Sometimes the warranty was shorter because they counted from the first demo date, but again we were always told upfront.

Selling a machine with any time on it as new is completely unethical in my mind. Unless they specifically defined 'new' as being previously used and installed for demos in the contract, I would think it's fraudulent behavior. I'd be happy to sign an affidavit to that effect.

I've purchased a number of machines that were used as demonstration models at shows from a variety of vendors. Each and every time I was told up front and received a discount off the price of a new machine. Sometimes the warranty was extended to meet or exceed the warranty on a new machine. Sometimes the warranty was shorter because they counted from the first demo date, but again we were always told upfront.

Selling a machine with any time on it as new is completely unethical in my mind. Unless they specifically defined 'new' as being previously used and installed for demos in the contract, I would think it's fraudulent behavior. I'd be happy to sign an affidavit to that effect.
I truly appreciate this. I would appreciate any documentation of your experience and expectation of the industry. I am not sure how to reach out privately. Please email me @ [email protected] if you are willing to provide a Declaration/ Affidavit reflecting your experience.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back