Printing variable data envelopes

GVG

Wondering what others are charging to print #10 regular white (printed on face only) and A-7 70# white envelopes (printed on flap and face) in black with return address along with mailing address. Customer supplies spreadsheet file suitable for merging.
Quantities 500 - 2000.

We would not charge extra for printing variable envelopes. Data charges would be part of the mailing fee for that work. Printing merged envelopes is pretty much the same as printing regular envelopes with the minor caveat of making sure they are kept in order.

We would not charge extra for printing variable envelopes. Data charges would be part of the mailing fee for that work. Printing merged envelopes is pretty much the same as printing regular envelopes with the minor caveat of making sure they are kept in order.

I think your leaving money on the table for not charging for addressing, that would go towards paying for your variable data software.

I think your leaving money on the table for not charging for addressing, that would go towards paying for your variable data software.
I think he's just collecting it elsewhere. For example, our shop charges type time and database time for the setup, but we wouldn't charge more for the printing since it's an identical workflow to a static run.

Wondering what others are charging to print #10 regular white (printed on face only) and A-7 70# white envelopes (printed on flap and face) in black with return address along with mailing address. Customer supplies spreadsheet file suitable for merging.
Quantities 500 - 2000.
NPSOA has pricing surveys with all your answers: NPSOA Survey Studies

This gets charged through mailing. There is no extra software though, this type of data merge can be done easily through Indesign.

We don't charge more per piece for printing variable data jobs, the setup is charged as time based within the design/origination fee.
We also do it using Indesign, so don't incur additional cost, other than the setup time.
However for those into the realms of buying/subscribing to dedicated VD software, which isn't inexpensive, it's important to ensure this cost is quantified and covered.

We don't charge more per piece for printing variable data jobs, the setup is charged as time based within the design/origination fee.
We also do it using Indesign, so don't incur additional cost, other than the setup time.
However for those into the realms of buying/subscribing to dedicated VD software, which isn't inexpensive, it's important to ensure this cost is quantified and covered.
How would you price the setup time? Hourly rates? Minimum charge?

I give it up to you guys that use Indesign for merge, I tried it on a few jobs and after waiting overnight for it to finish merging a job I promptly went back to Xmpie, same job took it 1 hour.

Do you guys charge the same rate no matter the quantity?

I personally use Freeform create that's part of the fiery workstation programs. It's so easy I'd feel guilty charging for setup.

$25 if the address merge takes me under 10 minutes. If I'm fixing the list in Excel or doing anything exotic like variable printing different data sets on different layers of carbonless, the cost goes up. We bill time at $105/hr. The customers are getting their time saved by my team's knowledge and skill, and my team is taking on the risk of reprints or refunds if there are major errors.

Reactions: GVG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back