Printready and OS X 10.5?

Re: Printready and OS X 10.5?

When we are on the topic Mark, do you know if Export archive on Mac will be fixed any time soon?
I thought that was the only thing that didn't work on Leopard but even with SP 7 and after 10.5.3 update, we still have issue where you can't export job from Printready on Mac. On Windows cockpit works ok.

Thanks

Hi Zoran,

Sorry for a late reply, I am at Drupa. One of my techs tested it and does not have the problem with Mac export....perhaps it is a network config issue?

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Tell me more Mark, or get me in touch with that tech, please.
Export job from any of our Mac's is flawed the same way.
It works only once out of 10 tries.
On PC it works every time.

I am curious if there is something wrong with our network config.
How do I tell?

Thanks.

Hi Zoran,

I can not help much on this from here (sitting on a ship on the Rhine). Give Joe B. a call next week, he will be back from Drupa and could help.

Regards,

Mark

Hey gang, haven't had a chance to retry 10.5 with Printready. Been too busy working. But sticking with 10.4 may have been a blessing. Seems to be a lot of problems with 10.5 and Adobe apps plus no Quark 6.5 compatiblity.

Would like to run 10.5 one day and still very intersted in how to configure it if anyone can give me the specifics how to do it?

Hi Zoran,

This can get quite complex so local support would be best.

Hi prepressguru,

I would recommend the same, if you are in the U.S., call TAC, if not local Heidelberg support should be able to help.

Best regards,

Mark Tonkovich

Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Hey Zoran, we have never been able to get the export job function to work on the Mac and our network is perfect. Yes it does work on the PC client of cockpit. Hopefully the latest patch 3.7 will fix it.

Are you at 3.7? When we get the patch I will test it.

Good luck

Hi Gang!

Finally got 10.5 to work. Basically it is the same setup as 10.4
Here is what I did some of this may not be necessary:
Make sure you have a DNS server up and running to relove the ip address and computer names
Turn on file/folder sharing for smb and appletalk
turn off ipv6
join the workgroup group in networking under adavnce options
you will need to edit the host file and smb file on the Mac within the /etc folder
This info on the host and smb you will need to get from the HD tech support. As the the host and smb files are different then they were on 10.4 so the fields you need to edit are in different locations. Other then that is was very similar.

I did all of this with 10.5.3 on an intel Mac

Good luck

If you are still having trouble exporting from the MAC try to allocate more memory to your cockpit.

Hi guys, first post here - looking for a little help.

I've recently received a new Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon quad core cpu.

As you can imagine it came with Leopard pre-installed - which I recently updated to 10.5.4.

We're also running Printready 3.5.723.3 and Signa 3.03.30 - again installed within the past month.

Anyway, recently we've been caught out with images dropping off Quark (7.3) documents. (Customers not happy!)

This seems to be completely random, and usually re-postscripting the document sorts it out.

My boss suggested I ring Heidelberg tech support (which I did). I was given the rather final answer that heidelberg do not support Leopard 10.5.4 with their software (brilliant!) and what I am experiencing is a network issue between my Mac and the windows server. Something to do with links getting lost along the way? My only option would be to do a clean install of the OS and not update past 10.5.3.

I'm assuming there's no way of rolling back to 10.5.3?

Anybody else heard of this strange issue (or have a less tear inducing solution)?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks in advance

Jon.

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment we only use postscript files from Quark. We have just started using pdfs from indesign as we started getting issues with transparencies. I'm sure in the future we'll move everything to pdf.

I did a few pdfs from quark as a test, and all seemed ok. However, like I say this is not something that happens all the time. Images seem to just disappear when they feel like it!

As for opi, we have always disabled it in the past due to issues with an old system years ago. I thought it was disabled in my Quark 7.3.1, but having looked at my XTentions manager there are 2 tick boxes for opi - one is ticked the other is unticked. I've tried unticking the tick box which says 'active' and restarting Quark, but it just activates itself again!

Hi Jonny

Hmm I posted a reply to your post earlier but it seems someone deleted it. Here goes again

Honestly the best thing you can do is go right back to 10.4.11. it will install on the new 8 core Macs. Reason is 10.5.3 has a couple of nasty bugs which might be part of your problem. Network coping and a photoshop CS3 bug. Network copies will corrupt files. 10.5.4 is suppose to fix it but have heard not 100% of all cases. 10.4 keeps you compatible with CS2 and Quark 6.5

Quark 7 itself may be an issue. We also write ps out of Quark, but writing directly to our server 50% of time produces no file, but saving to our desktop always works.

As for HD not supporting 10.5 ask them to check the release notes of Signa 3.0.3 it clearly states one of the new improvements is for 10.5 support, if they are not supporting a point release that would seem strange.

Good luck

Hi guys, first post here - looking for a little help.

I've recently received a new Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon quad core cpu.

As you can imagine it came with Leopard pre-installed - which I recently updated to 10.5.4.

We're also running Printready 3.5.723.3 and Signa 3.03.30 - again installed within the past month.

Anyway, recently we've been caught out with images dropping off Quark (7.3) documents. (Customers not happy!)

This seems to be completely random, and usually re-postscripting the document sorts it out.

My boss suggested I ring Heidelberg tech support (which I did). I was given the rather final answer that heidelberg do not support Leopard 10.5.4 with their software (brilliant!) and what I am experiencing is a network issue between my Mac and the windows server. Something to do with links getting lost along the way? My only option would be to do a clean install of the OS and not update past 10.5.3.

I'm assuming there's no way of rolling back to 10.5.3?

Anybody else heard of this strange issue (or have a less tear inducing solution)?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks in advance

Jon.

I still fail to see how is this Heidelberg related??

You obviously have issues with your network/server/Quark.

We've been using successfully Quark 7 without such issue since it came out. We have all new Intel Xeon Mac Pro's with 8 cores.
We are running same Heidelberg versions like you.

Obviously disabling OPI is number 1, potential issue.
Second thing is when you get dropped image, try making PS from same document, just moving it to your local station instead of network volume (and make sure support files are linked to your local folder).

What is your server?

By the way, suggesting to downgrade entire OS is not my preference and PS3 doesn't have that bug anymore, it was Apple bug as far as I remember and it was taken care with latest Leopard update.
In my mind I would rather stay up to date than downgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

We have Linux with Netaltalk/Samba combo that has been rock solid for years.

What are the advantages to being up to date with Apple's latest software patch? It doesn't introduce anything to help in our environment. I've got a business to run and jobs to produce why gamble with a patch level not proven to work well with most versions of software?

Our server is win 2003 mounting smb to our mac's as supplied from Heidelberg. We save fat ps files no OPI. With Quark 7 we write the file to our desktop and copy it to the job folder. Otherwise Quark 50% of the time doesn't write the file if it is written directly to the server.

Thanks

I still fail to see how is this Heidelberg related??

You obviously have issues with your network/server/Quark.

We've been using successfully Quark 7 without such issue since it came out. We have all new Intel Xeon Mac Pro's with 8 cores.
We are running same Heidelberg versions like you.

Obviously disabling OPI is number 1, potential issue.
Second thing is when you get dropped image, try making PS from same document, just moving it to your local station instead of network volume (and make sure support files are linked to your local folder).

What is your server?

By the way, suggesting to downgrade entire OS is not my preference and PS3 doesn't have that bug anymore, it was Apple bug as far as I remember and it was taken care with latest Leopard update.
In my mind I would rather stay up to date than downgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

We have Linux with Netaltalk/Samba combo that has been rock solid for years.

YMMV.
There are many advantages but just as many disadvantages.
I just told you that we have no issues with latest updates.
Here you can see that Apple's patch fixed Nav Services that actually helps with saving files to server, subsequently fixing Indesign crashes too.
Tim Cole's InDesign BackChannel: InDesign & Leopard: 10.5.4 Nav Services Fix!

Software world is very complex and you have to be on top of the updates (not blindly, research).
Multiple companies makes software and they use each other libraries so sometimes your particular software might not work but it is your system version that is not working well.

These are called software bugs.
Usually with new versions and patches they fix bugs and sometimes they introduce other problems.

Sometimes security updates warrants updating, as long as you know the rest of your software will work fine.
Sometimes with updates they introduce new features that you might be waiting for.

For this particular purpose I am always on the edge with latest updates and if after couple of days I don't run into any problems with updates and/or I don't read anything online, I recommend my guys to update too (green light).

It works for me and as I said YMMV (Your mileage May Vary).
We don't use WIn2003 server as you are since our main server is Linux with Samba and Netatalk.
For what we use Win2003 server, it works just fine.

What are the advantages to being up to date with Apple's latest software patch? It doesn't introduce anything to help in our environment. I've got a business to run and jobs to produce why gamble with a patch level not proven to work well with most versions of software?

Our server is win 2003 mounting smb to our mac's as supplied from Heidelberg. We save fat ps files no OPI. With Quark 7 we write the file to our desktop and copy it to the job folder. Otherwise Quark 50% of the time doesn't write the file if it is written directly to the server.

Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back