problem in prepare Magazine pdf files for printing

2mira

How can I prepare magazine files for printing if it's size exceed 40 giga bite?
I need to know any way to compress pdf files without reduce files resolution

That's massive! What resolution do your images have?
There is a point where extra resolution is just not going to make the job look any different when printed.

Jpeg 2000 compression will give the smallest file size with the best print quality if your workflow supports it.

Hi,

You can try to import PDF files in IN DESIGN. When you finish you can either export them as PDF or print them through a virtual printer as .ps (post script) then open it with Adobe Destiller. Hope this helps.

What application and PDF settings are you using to make a file that size?

Does the magazine have a recommended PDF setting?

Have you tried using PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-4? These settings will downsample images, but you're unlikely to see any noticeable loss of detail.

Last edited:
Hi,

You can try to import PDF files in IN DESIGN. When you finish you can either export them as PDF or print them through a virtual printer as .ps (post script) then open it with Adobe Destiller. Hope this helps.

I disagree with the PostScript advice - you will needlessly flatten transparency, which could cause issues and might bloat the file further.

I disagree with the PostScript advice - you will needlessly flatten transparency, which could cause issues and might bloat the file further.

Agreed.

There are very few reasons to resort to re-frying a PDF through InDesign at all, let alone bringing a 'virtual printer' into the mix. None if you have the original INDD document.

Another thought - sometimes InDesign documents (and the PDFs exported from them) somehow get bloated with unnecessary data, and simply doing a 'Save As' will clear it out.

Another thought - sometimes InDesign documents (and the PDFs exported from them) somehow get bloated with unnecessary data, and simply doing a 'Save As' will clear it out.

Along those same lines you can open up in Acrobat and save as Optimized PDF and you'll see all your options for reducing the files size.

iam working with pdf files for finalize them (electronic montage ) , sorry for misunderstand

If you are using InDesign to create the PDFs, then an option would be to use HELIOS PDF-native OPI. OPI automatically creates low-res "layout" images that you place in the document. This should speed the transfer time and response time of InDesign. To produce the final PDF document, export with "omit images" (resulting in a very small document), and the OPI software on your server will restore the omitted images. Different versions can be produced with different image resolution and ICC color space settings. All other PDF properties (transparency, etc.) are preserved.

Tom Hallinan
HELIOS Software

Hello 2mira,

Check out
Coherent PDF Command Line Tools.

http://community.coherentpdf.com

They claim that the "smpdf" app compresses the PDF vector artwork and leaves the image resolution untouched. I have had some good results with it.

Now, Command Line tools are not for everyone. So I have made an App with Automator to make it user friendly. It's attached as a zip file.

Download smpdf from the website and place it directly on your Mac Hard Drive.

Macintosh HD/smpdf

Then Double click on the "Compress to low res" app to start it and and select your PDF when asked.

The low res PDF will be created in the same folder as the original PDF with "LOW RES.pdf" added to it file name.

Let me know if you get any trouble.

Good Luck!

(If you like the smpdf tool, make sure you pay for it. My app is free.)

Attachments

• Compress to LowRes PDF copy.app.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back