Problem with verifying IDEAlliance Strip with Fogra39L (i1Profiler)

Magnus

Hi, we are using the IDEAlliance ISO 12647-7_Control Strip 2009 for proofing in our Agfa Apogee Prepress workflow.

Our printers are calibrated to match Fogra39 and Fogra47. When verifying the control strip with our Epson inline Spectroproofer there's no problem at all. But when I try to verify the same strip with my i1 Pro 2 and i1profiler (reference Fogra39L) I get an error that says: The selected reference file does not include all colors found in the selected control wedge.

I understand what this means, but how can I work around it?

(And no, I can't use the Fogra Media Wedge or any other wedge right now.)

Any help is appreciated!

Is it a format issue (are there gaps between the color patches)? Spectroproofer wedges aren't specifically formatted for offline/handheld measurement.
Do you have the option of placing a differently formatted control strip on your proof, as well as the spectroproofer wedge?

Agfa Apogee can hadle this but i1profiler can not. Can anyone compare the CMYK-values in the IDEAlliance ISO 12647-7_Control Strip 2009 and compare it to Fogra39L, too see which colors are missing? And there might even be a way to calculate the missing values and import a new reference file in i1profiler?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. So there is CMYK combinations in the ISO12647-7 control strip that do not exist in the Fogra39L reference, is that right.
I think what you would need to do is to derive new target CIELab values for the ISO12647-7 control strip...essentially create a new reference file by converting the ISO12647-7 CMYK patches through the Fogra39L ICC profile.

Well, since i1Profiler says: "The selected reference file does not include all colors found in the selected control wedge." I assume that the Fogra39L does not contain all CMYK values used in the IDEAlliance strip. I don't know how to create a new reference with my current software, could you guide me through it?

I'm hard to belive that I'm the first one that stumble upon this problem. But I can't find anything when I google it.

There may be a more intuitive way, but I don't have access to i1Profiler. You could do it, albeit inelegantly, with Photoshop and Excel.
Opent the ISO12647-7 control strip and assign the Fogra39L ICC profile (absolute colorimetric), then record the CIELab values for each patch. Enter those CIELab values into the reference text file in Excel. Choose that new text file as a reference when measuring proofs.

Thanks, but i1Profiler don't want to accept my new reference file. I found the i1profiler reference-files and it's in XML-format. I don't think I can create this (see attached file):

Sprend

Thanks, but i1Profiler don't want to accept my new reference file. I found the i1profiler reference-files and it's in XML-format. I don't think I can create this (see attached file):

Sprend

Hmmm. Wondering if Colorport could take in the text files, and export an xml readable by i1Profiler?

Are you trying to measure the exact same IDEAlliance Control Strip that the SpectroProofer measured with your i1 Pro2? This will never work, as the two measurement devices require two different control strips.

Are you trying to measure the exact same IDEAlliance Control Strip that the SpectroProofer measured with your i1 Pro2? This will never work, as the two measurement devices require two different control strips.

I could always spot measure. And no it's not same strip.

It is late and I may be missing something, however I’ll post any way…

IDEAlliance strip = 54 patches, 2 rows x 27
FOGRA wedge v2.0 = 46 patches, 2 rows x 23
FOGRA wedge v3.0b = 72 patches, 3 rows x 24

Usually the IDEAlliance strip is used for GRACoL C1, while the FOGRA wedge is used for F39/ISO Coated.

I have a feeling that the i1Profiler .mxf reference data will not allow one to change the reference and the wedge.

It is possible to use both GRACoL and F39 reference data with the FOGRA wedge - however it is not possible to use F39 reference data with the IDEAlliance wedge.

There are usually licensing fees associated with using the FOGRA wedge.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back