Problems foil stamping

Apphoard

We are foil stamping a BC on the opposite side of a black solid. This side we are on us blank. We are putting silver foil. We have little experience. And the stamp is showing into the other side to much. The stock is 100# silk. Can somebody give me some pointers? We have backed off the pressure pretty much as much as we can with the foil adhering.

What you are trying to do is difficult if you don't have a lot of experience. The slightest amount of stamp through will show with a black solid. What kind of machine are you using, what kind of makeready board are you using, What foil and foil temperature? What does your image look like? All of this information is necessary to solve your problem. In general you will want a foil designed for large solids as it will transfer with the least amount of pressure. Your makeready board should be
soft like Redboard. Whether you use Redboard or phenolic board it should be mounted to floating clear cover sheet that is
taped along the edges. This will alow you to place paper underneath to buildup pressure where needed.

I am not sure what machine it is at the moment. I know its US made and runs around a 10x13 inch sheet. It isn't old maybe 5 years. I can check what kind of foil and machine tomorrow. I think we are using phenolic board
It is a hard black board we got from a foil supplier. Our temp is at 230 Fahrenheit. The foil is silver the image is just type the company's name.

The machine is a Therm-O-type NSF A3. The foil is Crown roll leaf I believe.
It is a black phenolic board. We got it done and think it will be ok. You couldn't see much impression from the stamp on the reverse side but you could see a tiny bit. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Another vendor did it and you could see nothing. We need help! lol

Sometimes it has something to do with the foil assuming your pressure setting is correct.

Back then I use crown and now I change it all to Japanese foil, reason is they stick to paper / lamination so easy and temperature setting is alot lower.
I tried from brand to brand because they behave differently with different paper.

Gordon

Sometimes it has something to do with the foil assuming your pressure setting is correct.

Back then I use crown and now I change it all to Japanese foil, reason is they stick to paper / lamination so easy and temperature setting is alot lower.
I tried from brand to brand because they behave differently with different paper.

Gordon

Do you know a brand name for the Japanese foil you are using? We tried another foil called infinity. It didn't perform any better. Now we are having a very hard time with getting a small font that is only one word to stick on a different job. It is about the same size as this font if you are looking at it on a smart phone but it is bolder. It is a black foil and its going over top of pms 485 solid and a wax free dull varnish solid. We also are putting down a white foil that is a much larger font with no problems. So I am thinking the size of the font may be our problem I don't know. But what is strange is we have done this job before without these problems. The guy that operates the machine isn't very good at problem solving or running the machine. I am just trying to help him. Because I have to reprint all this stuff when he wastes it trying to get the foil to stick.

I am using "Gleam", but mine is design for PP, meaning lamination.
It works super good on coated especially. Just setup your die, as long as you have almost the right pressure and +/- 10 degree, it will stick. And it stick on toner as well.

For uncoated paper, Kurz is the best I have used.

Gordon

I am using "Gleam", but mine is design for PP, meaning lamination.
It works super good on coated especially. Just setup your die, as long as you have almost the right pressure and +/- 10 degree, it will stick. And it stick on toner as well.

For uncoated paper, Kurz is the best I have used.

Gordon

Thanks a lot we got the Kurz and it worked beautifully. The stamp looks even sharper with less pressure and show thru to the other side. Thanks again!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back