Problems with Agfa :Azura plates & Screen PlateRite 4300?

markdyck

We are running a PlateRite 4300 with the Agfa :Azura plates in our CTP system. We are having issues with a line that runs across the width of the plate. It is 1 3/4" from the top of the plate and runs 9 3/4" centred on the width of the plate. This line only appears when we are "pre-loading" the plates into the plate setter. The workaround solution is to simply wait for each plate to finish burning, then put the new plate in when it has exited the plate. However, this decreases productivity dramatically.

So far, our local techs are stating it's a "sensitivity problem" with the plates. The line they feed me is that the line is being created by a roller in the machine, and that's why we can't preload anything. They say we aren't the only ones with this issue, but won't tell us who else. They go further to say that if we were using chemical process plates, we wouldn't have this problem. The PlateRite 4300 is a recommended plate setter by Agfa, so I feel that this problem shouldn't exist. Is anyone else having this same problem or can you offer any help or solutions? Thank you.

FYI - Room temperature is locally controlled to maintain a 20-24 degree Celsius variance

Edited by: Mark Dyck on Nov 16, 2007 7:40 PM

Re: Problems with Agfa :Azura plates & Screen PlateRite 4300?

if I recall correctly, there is a roller right in the area that the plate would sit when it's being preloaded..

is their excess vibration on the machine? could that roller be rubbing the plate while it's waiting for the preload?

Mark:

I'm not tech support, but I am aware that there is a roller retro-fit kit for Screen-badged units; this may or may not be the issue here.

All Acento units already have this roller change.

Your Agfa Plate technical Rep may have more information for you.

Regards,

Edited by: Steve Musselman on Nov 17, 2007 7:36 AM

Thanks Steve, you were right on the money. I had also emailed Agfa & Screen the same time I posted this question here. Agfa got back to me the next business day with the answer, that the rollers needed to be replaced and Screen has a kit for that.

The sad point here is that the company that provided us the machine and services it (and many others in the area) had no idea that a fix was available for the machine. They were content to just let us keep using the machine at 50% efficiency without the pre-loading. It wasn't until I finally contacted the manufacturers involved that a solution was found. They called Screen and less than 30 mins later, called me back and confirmed that there was a kit available and he had ordered it to fix our machine. WHY DIDN'T HE DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!

The machine was fixed within days of finding out the answer and now works like we were promised at the beginning. No more mystery marks and our operator is able to output the plates in a more timely fashion. Thanks for the help!

Mark:

I'm happy to hear of your resolution.

Now, that's customer service!
(And no, I'm not Customer Service either!)

Enjoy!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back