Production vs Creative

gordo

284%20Production%20vs%20Creative_zpsv4fvbjfx.jpg

Sad but true, but we've made it worse on ourselves by fixing files and not charging appropriately or kicking files back to be built properly.

I'll take too many layers instead of no layers every time. I've had an influx of nearly completely rasterized art come in and then the customer wants to make adjustments for content and color. Apparently, we're "difficult to work with" because of this. It's usually the color palette utilized when this situation comes up.

This strip can probably apply to a lot of things that are created, both in and outside of the Printing industry.

And sometimes when your topics are less than amusing, the faces you choose for the pictures more than make up for it, haha.

I'll take that as a positive comment. LOL :)

Sad but true, but we've made it worse on ourselves by fixing files and not charging appropriately or kicking files back to be built properly.

In reality this scenario is how I increase my margins. Just had a job that was given up on after 91/2 months, I turned it in 3 1/2 weeks at 55% margins

My Acrobat has been sluggish occasionally ever since a large, multi-layered PDF came through. I get more "beachballs" in Acrobat than I used to. I wonder if that PDF has something to do with this. And the attitude in the cartoon was what I used to get from some of the designers in the early days of our prepress unit. Frustrating.

My Acrobat has been sluggish occasionally ever since a large, multi-layered PDF came through. I get more "beachballs" in Acrobat than I used to. I wonder if that PDF has something to do with this. And the attitude in the cartoon was what I used to get from some of the designers in the early days of our prepress unit. Frustrating.
It's hard to find clients that are willing to pay for what you know. The bigger company you work for the more that seems to be as management grabs everything with blatant disregard for the quality of the source.

The small companies in smaller towns run on the desperation pricing strategy also.

careful where you are slinging that blanket, not all small companies are run with the small company mentality, I teach my staff that if you are doing extra work for nothing it has to be paid from somewhere and its not going to be my pocket. we run a very efficient high margin digital print company only employing 4 people. Any work that doesn't fit the original quote is charged extra. if they don't like it they can go else where, the print industry needs to start running as a service driven business instead of stack it high sell it cheap industry. How can any of us develop our businesses and ultimately offer the 'customer' more if we don't charge for 'more' in the first place?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back