Profile Maker Averaging

magma

Hallo everyone,

I am kind of new at this (Profile Maker 5.0) but I was trying to create a profile using ECI2002CMYKi1A3 as a reference point and what I measured when I printed it out as measurement data. Everything went ok. But then I tried to be smart :eek: so I printed out a whole lot of sheets, started measuring at random (top of stack, middle of stack, end of stack), averaged my measurement data and now... what do I compare them with? Why can't I create a profile having ECI2002CMYKi1A3 as reference data and the average of what I measured as measurement data?

Anyone? :confused:

The measure tool from Profile Maker 5 has an averaging function.

For best results when reading the data, it should be saved as ProfileMaker, not CGATS

Thank you for the reply Michael :)

I am using the averaging function from the Measure Tool. I add the measured data (let's say 3 files) and it prompts me to save their average. Problem is that the file it saves contains all patches (from all 3 measurements) so I cannot use it as a comparison to the reference file (which only contains the reference data once) in order to create a profile.

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what...

Thank you for the reply Michael :)

I am using the averaging function from the Measure Tool. I add the measured data (let's say 3 files) and it prompts me to save their average. Problem is that the file it saves contains all patches (from all 3 measurements) so I cannot use it as a comparison to the reference file (which only contains the reference data once) in order to create a profile.

I think you might be confused as to what "reference data" means. Reference data in ProfileMaker is simply the device CMYK values that you're printing....there are no measurements in the reference data file, only CMYK values.

What I would do is...

* Measure as many of the charts as you can or have time for and save each as Measure-1, Measure-2, etc.

* Average them all together using the Measure Tool Average function and save this as a new measurement data set called "Average" (creative, huh?) :)

* Open the Average data set and all the individual data sets in Measure Tool that you used to create the average.

* Using the Measure Tool Compare function, select the Average data on the left side as the "reference" and then compare that (on the right) to each individual measurement.....note the "Worst 10%" delta E values and look if there are any samples that appear noticeably higher than the others. If you see any, note what measurement # it is and *re-average* all the data sets again...but excluding any of the "outlier" data sets. The end result should be an averaged data set that represents the "best" or most consistent of all the individual data sets. Use that to make your final profile.

Wow! Thanks a lot Terry :)

It might have taken me a century to finish but it worked like a charm!

Million Zillion Thanks

Dear terry,

i am planning to create ICC profile for digital printer which is run by EFI rip. We use the printer for printing RGB datas- photo albums. What settings should i choose in profile maker like grey , gamut (colorful/classic/chroma ) , ink limit, black width,black point . i keep trying with various combinations which actually end up many profiles. I dont know how to find which profile is good. i try to convert same image in photoshop using convert to profile/ or assign profile and see the monitor which looks more close to original. then we finalize the profile. what we expact from the profile is conversion from RGB to cmyk with minimum loss of color. we may use this profile in CGS pressmatcher to print albums.

suggest.

In ProfileMaker you want to go with colorful. I tend to set the neutrals to paper relative. Ink limiting should be handled on the RIP, so you can go with 400% ink limit. I keep the black width wide. The black start is a point of consideration. For offset I set the black start point to 0 with GCR of 3, 4, or even MaxK - for proofing I'll set it to something like 40% with GCR of 2 or 3. In offset production you want the color stability that a long black offers. In proofing a long black can give prints a grainy, or peppery, appearance.

For proofing you can go with the inkjet preset.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back