Profiling Glossy Calendared Vinyl on Epson GS6000

Cins

Okay, I work in a Graphic Production department with 5 different printers (ranging in size) and I have the task and training to calibrate all the printers and monitors and then to profile all our media we use on a daily basis. Long story short, I have no problem profiling the medias until I get to our Epson GS6000 . . . I have been working on it for the past week now and everything I try gets results that are close but still look drab or muddy - for lack of a better term. I am at my wits end. Any advice? Am I just forgetting a simple step? I am using the latest version of Onyx for my RIP. Thanks.

Okay, I work in a Graphic Production department with 5 different printers (ranging in size) and I have the task and training to calibrate all the printers and monitors and then to profile all our media we use on a daily basis. Long story short, I have no problem profiling the medias until I get to our Epson GS6000 . . . I have been working on it for the past week now and everything I try gets results that are close but still look drab or muddy - for lack of a better term. I am at my wits end. Any advice? Am I just forgetting a simple step? I am using the latest version of Onyx for my RIP. Thanks.

We're mEeting an Epson representative tommorow, as we want to buy a machine like this. We also saw the HP Latex, and now we have to decide. Profiling has always been a problem for me, as I have discromacy and also lot's of media to print on. Please tell me how it works, ast his will be a key factor.

Well, I wish I could give you rave reviews about it but . . . I am not the one, in my department, that uses it. I am not part of our production team that sees the output from it everyday in and out but honestly we have that and a Roland XC-540 side by side, the Roland came first, and the Roland color seems extremely more saturated and true. The results I keep getting with the Epson seem muddy and dull. Now, I really would like to think that I am doing something wrong in the profiling process that is causing this but at this point I just don't know. I'm very frustrated so now is probably not the best time to answer that question. I apologize, I know that's not helping you but its best if I keep my mouth shut for the time being until I get this profiling issue figured out.

Well, I wish I could give you rave reviews about it but . . . I am not the one, in my department, that uses it. I am not part of our production team that sees the output from it everyday in and out but honestly we have that and a Roland XC-540 side by side, the Roland came first, and the Roland color seems extremely more saturated and true. The results I keep getting with the Epson seem muddy and dull. Now, I really would like to think that I am doing something wrong in the profiling process that is causing this but at this point I just don't know. I'm very frustrated so now is probably not the best time to answer that question. I apologize, I know that's not helping you but its best if I keep my mouth shut for the time being until I get this profiling issue figured out.

No worries, I just hope you solve your isuess. We saw some tests on the GS6000, they actually looked quite good. Have you checked with Epson reps ?

I have not used Onyx, however I presume that you have gone through the same steps as for other media and printers with this RIP. As a point of reference, how are results using the Epson printer driver and this media? Can you find a driver setting that works well with this vinyl? If not, perhaps it is just a limitation with this media and inkset. How has the profiling gone with this media on the other printers? How has the profiling gone with this printer with other media?

Stephen Marsh

We run our GS6000 with the Onyx rip and have also found some media difficult to profile. Espon support says that we should make profiles for each media, while the sales rep told us to find the closest profile in the Oynx library and run it. After weeks of making profiles and testing, we found that the profiles in the library are very good, and much quicker to use.

Cins,

Of course, from what you've written it's impossible to say exactly what it is you're having, but the most obvious answer is that you're having an issue making six color profiles.

The fact of the matter -- that a lot of reps and salesmen and the like don't really like to share -- is that the CMYKcm inks in your Roland and your Epson are exactly the same ink. All the Epson does is add some orange ink, and some green ink.

And, also, in the areas of gamut where CM & Y will reproduce a color, there's no value what-so-ever to add another color into the mix.

And what that means in the real world is that what you should be able to achieve with the Epson is a gamut identical to your Roland, except with more reach into greens, and particularly -- with that particular inkset -- into oranges.

But it does take seriously good 6 color profiles to get all the capability out of that machine. And, frankly, there aren't a lot of people out there who are really good at making six -- or more -- color profiles.

But it can be done, and the results are pretty striking once you get there.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

We have been running our GS 6000 for about 6 months now with a Wasatch RIP and have found the standard color profiles included have been adequate for all our stocks. Scrim, photo paper, adhesive, canvas etc...

I would definetly change the onyx to EFI, or some other RIP. I have been trying to profile HP machines with Onyx and I never got it done right. But with EFI RIP it shouldnt be a big problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back